26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to stop with penalties now. Haven’s forgotten the psg penalty but haven’t forgotten West Ham that put us in big trouble either. Is this a hattrick of missed penalties now including WHU last season? He also seems to have done a Salah where the extended contract killed the form.

That whole left side is looking clunky. It’s not just Mahrez. To be fair to the guy, he did win the penalty with some good play and it’s not his fault nobody else has the balls to take a penalty with Haaland off the pitch. I think Pep is trying to play him into some kind of form like he has in the past with Grealish and Phil. Not working yet though as he looks low on confidence and not loving his football.

It was a strange decision considering his age.
Giving Mahrez a 2 year contract extension in the summer was a bizarre decision because he didn't deserve it.
Maybe we are looking to get something for him end of this season, instead of letting him go for free!

I was also worried about him extending, perhaps we can get something for him end of the season

Think we extended him in the summer because of the decision to let Sterling and Jesus go. We'd be very light in terms of senior players on the wings if he'd gone too - Palmer looks ready but is inexperienced and had a lengthy injury last season, so it would have been a huge gamble to nail him on for a 20+ match season. As it is, we're using Bernardo to cover on the wing quite a lot, and I don't necessarily mind him playing there but it potentially leaves us short in the middle.

So keeping Mahrez was probably a pragmatic logistical decision. On top of that he did score a bunch of goals for us last season and that papered over some of the frustrations of watching him play - you'll take the odd missed penalty, or a selfish shot when a pass is on, or a slightly laissez-faire approach to tracking back, if he's one of the club's top scorers.

But if he's not scoring then the deficiencies in his play have nowhere to hide.

I think he's been good for us over the years, is going through a rough patch now, but may well turn it around and give us exactly what we need at some crucial point.

That said, I hope these 2 years of his contract are his last with us, and that they constitute a gradual passing of the reins to Palmer - when Mahrez's contract expires Palmer will be 22 and I want him as a genuine starting option.

Mahrez grabs the ball when its a pen, and keep doing so even as they miss and miss again. Becomes selfish at a certain point and not putting the team first.

Sterling used to do this as well lol, had to be pushed away sometimes.
Never forget grabbing the ball anfield and once again fucking up .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.