27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not buying the discourse online some of the popular city youtubers are saying that Nunes doesn't fit this team or isn't good enough.

They are nice about it too, they recognize he is good at alot of things, but he isn't a "Pep" player, and we should sell him (and Kovacic) and buy both Bruno and Paqueta.

So many criticisms like this were thrown towards other players in their first years, excluding Philips wherein people on his side had difficulty finding positives.

I'm willing to wait until next season to properly judge him (as I do with any new city player), if he still looks "raw" by December of this year, then I may turn to the "Probably have to Sell in January" idea, but this summer is way too early to get rid.

He's right on track for the usual 12mth bedding in period then.
There have been players like Gundogan and Rodri that weren't instantly appreciated by some City fans, but the manager has always believed in them and given them regular game time while they get used to our system.

The difference with Nunes is the manager hasn't given him regular game time and hence doesn't seem to believe in him.

Last edited:
There have been players like Gundogan and Rodri that weren't instantly appreciated by some City fans, but the manager has always believed in them and given them regular game time while they get used to our system.

The difference with Nunes is the manager hasn't given him regular game time and hence doesn't seem to believe in him.
I am not too sure I agree fully on that. Gundogan was hardly some unknown when we signed him so immediately had a lot more respect from Pep and Rodri's game time was partly through choice and partly through necessity because of injuries and Fernandinho's powers on the wane.

I might be wrong but Nunes was bought for a very specific set of skills and he has been slowly getting up to speed with things here. I am convinced he will come good, time will tell.

I am not too sure I agree fully on that. Gundogan was hardly some unknown when we signed him so immediately had a lot more respect from Pep and Rodri's game time was partly through choice and partly through necessity because of injuries and Fernandinho's powers on the wane.

I might be wrong but Nunes was bought for a very specific set of skills and he has been slowly getting up to speed with things here. I am convinced he will come good, time will tell.
I am not sure we bought him for a 'specific set of skills'. He's hardly played so Pep mustn't think he's got the skills required yet, for regular 'Pep football' in our team!

Nunes was a late window, 4th choice behind Bellingham, Rice and Paqueta. Would we have bought him if Kevin wasn't ruled out for so long?

I agree he has a fast turn of pace that may be useful at some point, but I suspect our decision makers in the club have been underwhelmed by his contributions so far this season.

Pep likes a small squad of players he can rely on, maybe he can turn it round? I don't dislike the guy but I am not convinced he can make it with us.

I am not sure we bought him for a 'specific set of skills'. He's hardly played so Pep mustn't think he's got the skills required yet, for regular 'Pep football' in our team!

Nunes was a late window, 4th choice behind Bellingham, Rice and Paqueta. Would we have bought him if Kevin wasn't ruled out for so long?

I agree he has a fast turn of pace that may be useful at some point, but I suspect our decision makers in the club have been underwhelmed by his contributions so far this season.

Pep likes a small squad of players he can rely on, maybe he can turn it round? I don't dislike the guy but I am not convinced he can make it with us.
I think we expected to be more of a ball carrying team this season and Pep has decided we're actually better looking for the old school control.

Kovacic, Doku and Nunes all to different extents were bought to dribble into our transition place and none of them really get to do it as often as we might have expected.

The one player that we bought as a transitional ball carrying player, Gvardiol, has ended up being able to utilise that at left back, Cancelo style.

When Bernardo departs and Kev slows down further then we might find ourselves more aggressive in transition and players like Doku, Nunes, Bobb and Alvarez will thrive a bit more.

it would seem i am in the minority but i quite like Nunes, especially the way he can turn under pressure and drive forward past opposition players with speed and directness, i just think he`s trying too hard when he gets his 8 minutes, 15 minutes etc.
Bit of an enigma so far but I think he could be really good given time. Genuinely exciting sometimes the way he turns and drives forward but then he seems to lose conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.