27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to rate anything about him when he never plays.

That being said, I think his best position would be next to Rodri in a 4231, box to box midfield role like Bernie does for us.

We should just rotate them and have him learn off Bernie, his physicality makes him perfect for this role.
feel the exact same way

pep seems to favor him further up the pitch though

feel the exact same way

This would happen naturally as it does with Bernie when Stones slots in next to Rodri.

But like for Bernie, it would still be in a controlling capacity and not fully reliant on goals and assists, there should still be a more clear #10 like Foden ahead of him.

Hard to rate anything about him when he never plays.

That being said, I think his best position would be next to Rodri in a 4231, box to box midfield role like Bernie does for us.

We should just rotate them and have him learn off Bernie, his physicality makes him perfect for this role.
What is his best position at wolves? Just curious.

The fact is, since Gundogan left, the only player who can play Rodri position is Matheus..
With Kovacic I have less problems. When Rodri is available and Bernardo needs some rest or plays LW, Kovacic can and has played that LCM position. Club hasn't payed big money for him, so 20M for a rotation / squad player is OK.

The problem is with Matheus here.. Big money spent and we haven't seen even glimpses of his real talent. I'm not saying that he is as useless as Phillips, cause at least minutes he played, he showed something, some aspects of quality football.

So I understand that we wanted Rice and it's always good when you get "finished product", but that doesn't always happen. Rodri for example, to play at this level - needed 3 years.

2019 / 2020 - he wasn't even good..
2020 / 2021 - he started to play better, but Pep decided not to play him in CL final and that says it all
2021 / 2022 - he was solid and stable, but not as phenomenal as he started to play from 2022 / 2023 season..

I mean, imagine Rodri sitting on the bench entire 2019 / 2020 season and Fernandinho playing every game. I don't think Rodri would have become, what he is now..

That's why player needs practice. Once again, with Phillips, you don't have luxury for this practice, cause guy literally has no talent, but Matheus is the difference case, even if we judge by as simply as youtube videos.

So playing Rico against Aston Villa and having Matheus on the bench was a big mistake. Cause that would be a good practice for him and additional step for his development. Instead Pep invested this time in Rico, who I don't think will ever become decent Defensive Midfielder. Attacking Midfielder maybe, but defensive - for sure, never..

So practice is important. Give this guy minutes, let him play Rodri position against Belgrad, against teams whenever Rodri isn't available and I'm sure step-by-step we will get a decent footballer.

Otherwise, what are the alternatives ? those LCM / RCM positions are well-covered, we don't need Matheus there. Bernardo, Foden, Rico, KDB, Kovacic, Alvarez even Grealish can play there if needed.

Matheus should be used and prepared to cover for Rodri and maybe double pivot sometimes. But if club purchased him for LCM / RCM, then we definitely need another player who will be brought to cover for Rodri. I thought that the purpose of this transfer was this. Cause if we didn't buy anyone to cover for Rodri, then it's the big mistake.

feel the exact same way

today the same. as soon as nunes comes on for kovacic, bernie plays the deeper role next to rodri and nunes gets pushed up the pitch. would like it the other way around.

I'd like to see him next to Rodri. As others have said, it seems Pep views him more as an attacking player but IIRC he averaged the most tackles in the league last season. I think he could take some defensive burden off of Rodri while helping solidify the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.