27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's never fair to hang, draw, and quarter a player but especially not him today. Guardiola had him playing up front at one point, ploughing a lone furrow against some absolute titans that would have rag dolled Haaland. Alas, he'll probably get abuse midweek as well, because even though he'll be back in midfield, he'll be in a patchwork quilt of a side.

From the little Ive seen of him in a city shirt the one thing that stands out about him is the way he glides across a pitch - a bit like Mahrez did. he seems very light on his feet.
Claearly a very technical player - but he will need the right attitude to be successful with us and that is what will decide his fate....he needs to put a shift in as well as having the technical ability - all he needs to do is watch the application of Bernardo Silva - replicate that and he wont go wrong....
However if he is a Cancello then he is fucked

From the little Ive seen of him in a city shirt the one thing that stands out about him is the way he glides across a pitch - a bit like Mahrez did. he seems very light on his feet.
Claearly a very technical player - but he will need the right attitude to be successful with us and that is what will decide his fate....he needs to put a shift in as well as having the technical ability - all he needs to do is watch the application of Bernardo Silva - replicate that and he wont go wrong....
However if he is a Cancello then he is fucked
cancelo gave us 2 years of amazing football and was one of the most important players of ours, during that period

So if Matheus does the same, then money well spent

I'd like to see him next to Rodri. As others have said, it seems Pep views him more as an attacking player but IIRC he averaged the most tackles in the league last season. I think he could take some defensive burden off of Rodri while helping solidify the midfield.

He's never really had much end product. His main skillset has been his technical ability on the ball, particularly under pressure and using his pace to get a bit of space. He's much more suited to playing alongside Rodri than further forwards in my opinion. I can only think of the Forest game as one where he's played alongside Rodri and as part of what would be a typical City 11 otherwise. And he was pretty good. Sadly, both Nunes and Kovacic seem to be judged by the Wolves performance which was poor but largely down to Rodri's suspension!

Tall, strong and technically able but what posistion does he excel in?? I think thats what we need to correct in the transfer market going forward. Buying players that actually excel in the number 8,6,4 rather than shoehorning players in because they're midfielders. Kovacic, Phillips and Nunes all fall into that category.

Still staying patient and optimistic he'll come into his own with more time. Needs to start against Huddersfield or something for me as he'll get no where just picking up a few minutes here and there. Still seems quite nervous on the ball but I might be looking into that way too much. I remember super Jack did at first so i'm not too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.