27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's never really had much end product. His main skillset has been his technical ability on the ball, particularly under pressure and using his pace to get a bit of space. He's much more suited to playing alongside Rodri than further forwards in my opinion. I can only think of the Forest game as one where he's played alongside Rodri and as part of what would be a typical City 11 otherwise. And he was pretty good. Sadly, both Nunes and Kovacic seem to be judged by the Wolves performance which was poor but largely down to Rodri's suspension!
Even in that Wolves game, I thought he was arguably our best player in the first half was surprised he came off. The crowd played into Pep's thinking but I don't think it was the right call with hindsight.

The biggest problem I see in Matheus, is that he plays like a floating flower..

Let's say second ball situation, 50-50% chance to win it and you have to engage in a physical duel with the opponent.
In those scenarios, Matheus for me seems like a guy, who always looses.

Nothing is greater than a player, who holds the fucking ball and wins it as well.

That's the first thing I would work on him to improve and I don't think that's something that couldn't be improved. I don't know GYM maybe, some special training sessions where you work on stuff like that and get stronger, tougher.

If he gains that skill and we add his great technical abilities to it, then we have a decent player..

In short, he needs to grow some balls :D

After the failure to sign Bellingham and Rice and then the Paquetta situation I always felt that Nunes was a little bit of a desperation signing. Still not sure that he fits our style of play and he comes nowhere near Gundos influence on a game.
I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and he thrives in the second half of the season and beyond.

He'll be more effective once he gets game time and once we start playing him more regularly. However, I don't envisage him starting many crunch matches, rather I see him being most effective when we bring him off the bench from the 60th minute and use his mobility and versatility to exploit the spaces. He's quite a rangy runner and looks the sort that will benefit from de Bruyne's passes in our half when the game is stretched and then carrying it up to the opponent's box.

What's to figure out? The guy is a baller and we need some ballers in reserve. He's the least of our problrms...
I don't think he's a problem for us, i just don't think he'll be much of an asset either

Tall, strong and technically able but what posistion does he excel in?? I think thats what we need to correct in the transfer market going forward. Buying players that actually excel in the number 8,6,4 rather than shoehorning players in because they're midfielders. Kovacic, Phillips and Nunes all fall into that category.
Well you'd expect midfielders to excel at playing in midfield.

Even in that Wolves game, I thought he was arguably our best player in the first half was surprised he came off. The crowd played into Pep's thinking but I don't think it was the right call with hindsight.
He made 2 mistakes and Pep pulled him on the account of playing against his old team :(

That was setting up to be his coming out party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.