27 | Matheus Nunes - 2024/25

He has the talent and there's definitely a player in there, will he get the 2nd season boost that happens with Pep's system?

People forget how unpopular Rodri was after one season, pining for Fernie and comparing the two.

I can probably include myself in that group truth be known but we aren't complaining now lol
I agree he is technically a good player. He has the ability to play for us, but I question his mentality and intelligence to play in a pep team. We'll see more this season now he's had a year under his belt.

Comparisons to rodri or mahrez or grealish in their first season aren't appropriate here. They all had slow starts to their city careers but they all played a lot of minutes in their first season, Nunes has barely featured and people are judging him on practically nothing.

Some who have judged him too soon may say him not getting a sniff is indicative of him not being at our level but lets at least give him the chance to fail before writing him off.

People forget he signed at the end of the window, he had no pre-season, we were straight into the rhythm of game, recover, game when he got here, there was no time to get him on the training pitch and teach him what's required and Pep is never going to trust any player until that's drilled into them

This is why I believe it was a massive blow for his career getting that stupid late euro's call up. Had he missed that, gone on tour, had a month on the pitch with Pep, He could have been set to hit the ground running and be in line to start the season in midfield, as it is, he's now got next to no pre-season again, he'll be low in the pecking order and he'll have to find a way of getting to grips with peps demands as expectations rise second season.

It's going to be tough for him as he is probably going to be on the periphery again to start with but he's got everything needed to be a big success here in my eyes, needs to work and take the chance when it comes his way. The way he's being so definitively written off is ridiculous.

Comparisons to rodri or mahrez or grealish in their first season aren't appropriate here. They all had slow starts to their city careers but they all played a lot of minutes in their first season, Nunes has barely featured and people are judging him on practically nothing.

Some who have judged him too soon may say him not getting a sniff is indicative of him not being at our level but lets at least give him the chance to fail before writing him off.

People forget he signed at the end of the window, he had no pre-season, we were straight into the rhythm of game, recover, game when he got here, there was no time to get him on the training pitch and teach him what's required and Pep is never going to trust any player until that's drilled into them

This is why I believe it was a massive blow for his career getting that stupid late euro's call up. Had he missed that, gone on tour, had a month on the pitch with Pep, He could have been set to hit the ground running and be in line to start the season in midfield, as it is, he's now got next to no pre-season again, he'll be low in the pecking order and he'll have to find a way of getting to grips with peps demands as expectations rise second season.

It's going to be tough for him as he is probably going to be on the periphery again to start with but he's got everything needed to be a big success here in my eyes, needs to work and take the chance when it comes his way. The way he's being so definitively written off is ridiculous.
Nothing in his career to date suggests he is anywhere near the level required. he has 1 premier league goal to his name and about the same number of assists. How the hell we gave wolves a £15 million profit is mind boggling. Another lad we're stuck with.

Nothing in his career to date suggests he is anywhere near the level required. he has 1 premier league goal to his name and about the same number of assists. How the hell we gave wolves a £15 million profit is mind boggling. Another lad we're stuck with.
Fucking hell! Give the lad a chance.

He has had one season with us, and several of our greatest players over the last seven years have struggled in their first term under Pep, including (and I’m getting sick of repeating myself) Grealish, Rodri, Mahrez, Gündoğan, etc.

If he’s still not producing by November, then we might be better off cutting our losses, but he deserves more time.

Agree, imo Cancelo is a more appropriate comparison. He had little involvement until the dead-rubber “Project Restart” after the suspended Covid season where he suddenly proved he could fill in as a much needed LB. The next 6 months are probably make or break for Nunes with us, if he stays beyond Sept.

Getting a late call up for Portugal is a setback for him with us I think. He’d have got some proper game time in pre-season otherwise, and Pep could have evaluated him some more. He will start on the bench again as you say and that has to be a concern about his prospects currently.

Fucking hell! Give the lad a chance.

He has had one season with us, and several of our greatest players over the last seven years have struggled in their first term under Pep, including (and I’m getting sick of repeating myself) Grealish, Rodri, Mahrez, Gündoğan, etc.

If he’s still not producing by November, then we might be better off cutting our losses, but he deserves more time.
He’s a tad pessimistic in most of his posts so wouldn’t read too much into it.

Agree, imo Cancelo is a more appropriate comparison. He had little involvement until the dead-rubber “Project Restart” after the suspended Covid season where he suddenly proved he could fill in as a much needed LB. The next 6 months are probably make or break for Nunes with us, if he stays beyond Sept.

Getting a late call up for Portugal is a setback for him with us I think. He’d have got some proper game time in pre-season otherwise, and Pep could have evaluated him some more. He will start on the bench again as you say and that has to be a concern about his prospects currently.
Cancelo is a great shout. Couldnt get a sniff, similar to Nunes many fools were writing them off based on nothing, he had to wait a long time for a chance but then put in performances when it eventually came and became integral.

Agree with everything you say except the 6 months thing, i think he needs longer. He's way down the pecking order and missed the chance to rise up it with a full pre-season, he isn't suddenly going to be starting games for us in the early season unless there is major injuries. It's entirely plausible he's in the same situation in 6 months time, he's probably going to have to bide his time for who knows how long but when he does get chances which will likely be cup games and champions league dead rubbers he needs to show he belongs.

We have to have faith, second season should be better. Theoretically hes a player for our weakest position ("8"; "LCM", call it as you like;p), hes going to get his chance. How it pans out is another matter. Hes very good running with the ball, turning with the ball. Trouble is first touch, vision and passing. I mean very good, but not elite and at Pep's City you have to has near elite passing, thats for starters. Hopes he improves, because there is a player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.