30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

Or the fact that the vast majority of adults were off work.
How many of us now work on Boxing Day? I have done for 9 of the last 12 years

You surprise me. What line of business you in, if I may ask? (If you're a Colombian drug dealer, based in Florida, I understand — the client is king, after all). I've never been in a job that required me to work on Boxing Day.
Oh, and weren't most adult males off work by 3 p.m. on Saturdays, though, unless they were doing overtime? As I remember it, Boxing Day matches were noticeably more rammed than even ordinary Saturday matches.

You surprise me. What line of business you in, if I may ask? (If you're a Colombian drug dealer, based in Florida, I understand — the client is king, after all). I've never been in a job that required me to work on Boxing Day.
Oh, and weren't most adult males off work by 3 p.m. on Saturdays, though, unless they were doing overtime? As I remember it, Boxing Day matches were noticeably more rammed than even ordinary Saturday matches.
I work with kids / teens so they need looking after every day lol
Yes when I started work the place was open Saturday until 12 or 12.30pm. I guess it was a case of how many could be bothered making their way home and getting changed and then back out to the ground - a good deal of folk used public transport to get home and to the ground.

The other thing to remember is Boxing Day was City v Everton and Liverpool v the rags or City v Liverpool and Everton v the rags
Always big games. Now the police don't want to know so it's Southampton or Fulham on Boxing Day or 8pm on 28th December

The other thing to remember is Boxing Day was City v Everton and Liverpool v the rags or City v Liverpool and Everton v the rags
Always big games. Now the police don't want to know so it's Southampton or Fulham on Boxing Day or 8pm on 28th December

I was surprised by what you say here, too. You know, if you look on the excellent History section of this forum, that doesn't really square with your claim. Not as far as the sixties and seventies are concerned, anyway. What was interesting to discover was how many years there was no match on Boxing Day. I had thought it was just graven in stone that there was a full programme on the 26th, all over the country, come what may. Seems I was mistaken.
Interestingly, I see that in ’75 we played Leeds on Boxing Day at Maine Rd, and Liverpool at Anfield the following day! God knows how that came about.

Oh, and more recently, in 2013, I was at the nightmarishly tense Boxing Day game between us and the dippers.

I've dug out this picture from the day.
Me with my eldest, aged 2 years and 3 months, and in a sling on my chest is my youngest aged 11 weeks.
I took her out of the sling and placed her tiny legs on the terrace floor - both my girls being 4th generation Blues to stand on The Kippax
View attachment 77221

What's curious about that picture is that several are dressed as if it's serious winter weather. Whereas you're wearing shorts. Or were you just doing your Geordie “hard” bit? (Fuck you've got hairy legs too — you are well hard…)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.