31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t be he had a dodgy spell last season other than that he’s been world class consistently. Every keeper makes mistakes prime Schmeichel did for the scum. Difference between Ederson and someone like Alisson is he rarely makes top saves and has chocolate wrists. Alisson and the real top keepers are also much better in one on ones. Great passer though and a great watch out Eddie just nowhere near world class as a shot stopper.
Absolute bollocks. He makes more mistakes than Ederson.

"Rarely makes top saves" more bollocks. He only gets about 1 or 2 shots to save per game and still ends up with several top top saves every season.

Alisson is a "real top keeper" but Ederson isn't? Give the fuck over. Either you are a dinosaur who believes shot stopping is the only really valid skill for a goalkeeper, or you just dislike Eddie for some unknown reason. I'd also be willing to bet you only see Alisson play twice a season.

Robert Sanchez

I missed the first half yesterday so watched it back last night and I thought it was interesting to see how he dealt with two of those goals.

First one he gets it all wrong and isn't strong enough when he comes to collect it (something, by the way, you could never accuse Ederson of lacking) and the third one he had "chocolate wrists" when it came to him after a deflection. I think that second comment is a bit harsh of me, given how little time he had to react, but you can tell from his reaction that he knew he should have gone better.

I think he looks like a really good keeper but there seems to be an attitude on here where our own players are held to impossible standards. I wouldn't mind about that so much if the alternatives from other clubs were getting held to that same standard.

Look at Sterling for instance. He's been crap for a long time now but some of his most outspoken critics had previously suggested names like Adama Traore as a replacement. Adama Traore for fuck's sake.

People need to learn to appreciate our player's strengths instead of constantly looking for weaknesses all the time and then thinking some bloke who plays for mid table/ relegation candidates because they just so happened to turn it on in three of the four games they watched one season.

I know you weren't directly suggesting Sanchez would be an improvement on Ederson but the fact that you've thrown those three names in the ring speaks to a wider issue with how City supporters tend to be overly critical of their own players while not putting others under anywhere near the same level of scrutiny.

And, once again, our way has been shown to be the best way. We won 4-1 last night and people were still falling over themselves to complain about Grealish and Ederson is coming off the back of winning two Golden Gloves in a row.

I missed the first half yesterday so watched it back last night and I thought it was interesting to see how he dealt with two of those goals.

First one he gets it all wrong and isn't strong enough when he comes to collect it (something, by the way, you could never accuse Ederson of lacking) and the third one he had "chocolate wrists" when it came to him after a deflection. I think that second comment is a bit harsh of me, given how little time he had to react, but you can tell from his reaction that he knew he should have gone better.

I think he looks like a really good keeper but there seems to be an attitude on here where our own players are held to impossible standards. I wouldn't mind about that so much if the alternatives from other clubs were getting held to that same standard.

Look at Sterling for instance. He's been crap for a long time now but some of his most outspoken critics had previously suggested names like Adama Traore as a replacement. Adama Traore for fuck's sake.

People need to learn to appreciate our player's strengths instead of constantly looking for weaknesses all the time and then thinking some bloke who plays for mid table/ relegation candidates because they just so happened to turn it on in three of the four games they watched one season.

I know you weren't directly suggesting Sanchez would be an improvement on Ederson but the fact that you've thrown those three names in the ring speaks to a wider issue with how City supporters tend to be overly critical of their own players while not putting others under anywhere near the same level of scrutiny.

And, once again, our way has been shown to be the best way. We won 4-1 last night and people were still falling over themselves to complain about Grealish and Ederson is coming off the back of winning two Golden Gloves in a row.
To be clear, the 3 names I've mentioned relate directly to Ederson's profile, specifically in their ability to distribute, I went as far to say they are inherently copies of what City aimed with Ederson's profile, we set the standard. There is no one better at distribution than him, and that's something barely up for debate.

But...

There is an argument however, for his handling and ability when it comes to shot stopping not being as good. It's okay as long as the backline protects him, but when we're under pressure, he's hardly the Edouard Mendy or Alisson of shot stopping to help us out. His save percentage is the lowest as I've posted before, he would know himself he could do better. That's something up for discussion and my main point really.

Whilst he does every now and again get it comically wrong, his positioning I've noticed is very good most of the time. It's not a coincidence that a lot of shots he saves seem to go straight at him.

That's a very good point. I played in goal fairly regularly for nigh on 30 years, not at anything better than Hough End levels but keeper was my main position. One thing that improved over the years was my positioning and being in the right place at the right time is very useful.

To be clear, the 3 names I've mentioned relate directly to Ederson's profile, specifically in their ability to distribute, I went as far to say they are inherently copies of what City aimed with Ederson's profile, we set the standard. There is no one better at distribution than him, and that's something barely up for debate.

But...

There is an argument however, for his handling and ability when it comes to shot stopping not being as good. It's okay as long as the backline protects him, but when were under pressure, he's hardly the Edouard Mendy or Alisson of shot stopping to help us out. His save percentage is the lowest as I've posted before, he would know himself he could do better. That's something up for discussion and my main point really.

I get that point but then it can be countered pretty easily. Save percentages aren't the best because of the lack of information on quality of shots faced. I've seen conflicting data with regards to keepers over performing in terms of xg conceded but, from memory, Ederson is usually in the top five keepers in the league. That being said, I've not seen any statistics on this since about midway through last season.

Then there's the more intangible stuff like being an absolute fucking nutter who opponents are afraid to challenge and being able to remain concentrated when our team is totally dominating possession and playing in the opponent's defensive third for about 50% of each game. People like Joe Hart totally excelled for Birmingham and with us when we were being constantly pressured by team like Dortmund and Barcelona. Keeping alert at all times is a skill in itself.

If people want to criticise particular aspects of his game then that's fair enough but it's silly to act like Ederson is a problem which needs fixing and that's the vibe which has been creeping in on this forum.

I get that point but then it can be countered pretty easily. Save percentages aren't the best because of the lack of information on quality of shots faced. I've seen conflicting data with regards to keepers over performing in terms of xg conceded but, from memory, Ederson is usually in the top five keepers in the league. That being said, I've not seen any statistics on this since about midway through last season.

Then there's the more intangible stuff like being an absolute fucking nutter who opponents are afraid to challenge and being able to remain concentrated when our team is totally dominating possession and playing in the opponent's defensive third for about 50% of each game. People like Joe Hart totally excelled for Birmingham and with us when we were being constantly pressured by team like Dortmund and Barcelona. Keeping alert at all times is a skill in itself.

If people want to criticise particular aspects of his game then that's fair enough but it's silly to act like Ederson is a problem which needs fixing and that's the vibe which has been creeping in on this forum.
I wouldn't necessarily go with that vibe, but it's a problem enough for us to stop conceding silly goals because there will come a time when the defenders will eventually make errors and as a top keeper he will have to show his quality, we know he's capable, and not just in distribution.

That's a very good point. I played in goal fairly regularly for nigh on 30 years, not at anything better than Hough End levels but keeper was my main position. One thing that improved over the years was my positioning and being in the right place at the right time is very useful.
Never understood why GKs catch the ball then, for no apparent reason, drop to their knees or lie on the ground clutching the ball and sunbathe for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.