31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst he does every now and again get it comically wrong, his positioning I've noticed is very good most of the time. It's not a coincidence that a lot of shots he saves seem to go straight at him.
And he is brave as a lion, perfect fit for City is our Eddie.

To be clear, the 3 names I've mentioned relate directly to Ederson's profile, specifically in their ability to distribute, I went as far to say they are inherently copies of what City aimed with Ederson's profile, we set the standard. There is no one better at distribution than him, and that's something barely up for debate.

But...

There is an argument however, for his handling and ability when it comes to shot stopping not being as good. It's okay as long as the backline protects him, but when we're under pressure, he's hardly the Edouard Mendy or Alisson of shot stopping to help us out. His save percentage is the lowest as I've posted before, he would know himself he could do better. That's something up for discussion and my main point really.
Tim Krul made a string of saves v. Chelsea yet conceded 7, most scored when his defence left him exposed, save percentages don't show the full picture. Ederson's concessions mainly come when he is exposed not because of shot stopping errors.

Today there were 2 shots that a top GK would easily catch, and he barely blocked them. Another shot to the body and it almost went under his arm, a top GK deflects it to the corner with no problem.

Ederson is a great sweeper, a great passer and great with high balls. He is an average shot-stopper and below average on 1v1. I don’t get why people fight about this, when it’s really clear. Luckily for us, Ederson is a top 3 GK even with his limitations. But for most teams, Ederson would not be a top 10 GK, and it’s okay, the only thing that matters is that he is important for us.

Thoughts?
Top for shotstopping at the point we had effectively won the league last season. Based on the quality of shots faced using an advanced GK xG model.

Yeah and that shows when it comes to crosses. I don't have the statistics but in the last year or two I doubt there's a keeper with a better rate of catching crosses.
You are not wrong - see this from earlier in the thread about corner claims

Thoughts?
Top for shotstopping at the point we had effectively won the league last season. Based on the quality of shots faced using an advanced GK xG model.
That with stats you can show almost any point you want. I was talking about individual actions in Brighton’s match.

Second if you think Ederson is a better shot-stopper than Mendy and Schmeichel, we are never gonna agree then.

With stats you can show that 80% of midfielders in the league have more offensive talent than Bernardo.

You think that Ederson is the best shot-stopper of the league? If you had a 1v1 that defines the league, would you choose Ederson above any other GK?
Why do you think Ederson’s shot-stopping are so divisive?
Why do none mention Ederson as a top shot-stopper other than some City fans? Pundits and other fans have no problem in saying that Foden is the best English young player, KDB best midfielder for some years…

That with stats you can show almost any point you want. I was talking about individual actions in Brighton’s match.

Second if you think Ederson is a better shot-stopper than Mendy and Schmeichel, we are never gonna agree then.

With stats you can show that 80% of midfielders in the league have more offensive talent than Bernardo.

You think that Ederson is the best shot-stopper of the league? If you had a 1v1 that defines the league, would you choose Ederson above any other GK?
Why do you think Ederson’s shot-stopping are so divisive?
Why do none mention Ederson as a top shot-stopper other than some City fans? Pundits and other fans have no problem in saying that Foden is the best English young player, KDB best midfielder for some years…

I asked you for you thoughts but fuck me you just go off on one.

FWIW that chart is from the most comprehensive goal keeping data analysis out there and, ironically, with other data published and lots of lots of commentary ( I've heard him speak in detail 3 or 4 times) backs up lots of what you are saying re 1v1s, distributions, claims etc with, er, data. Data being that thing YOU object to...

By the way your 1v1 argument depends on the type of 1v1. Close up 1v1s Ederson is great. When he has a player running at him from a long way out the data is not great and he gets panned.

And FWIW, I don't think Ederson is the best shot stopper out there. But he is not as bad as I think YOU perceive.

Last edited:
Never understood why GKs catch the ball then, for no apparent reason, drop to their knees or lie on the ground clutching the ball and sunbathe for a minute.
To waste time.

Particularly if the opposing team are on the front foot - hence the shot. Aims to take the momentum out of them when they continue.

Honestly I don't care if he's the best or near the best or not. I just love the bloke. He's great entertainment and is certainly good enough. Worth it for the 70 yard assists alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.