4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what he won,he was utter wank for us.
Apart from keeping Fernandinho out of the team during the 13/14 title-winning run-in, and having to deputise at CB when Kompany got himself sent off after 10 mins against Hull, he was always a very useful player during two seasons when we won two trophies and reached the FA Cup final.

Garcia was hardly a legend when he left, but he was a more than decent player who had a successful career before he came to us and after he left. Let's wait for Kalvin Phillips to do literally anything in a City shirt before we start denigrating the title-winning players we have had on our books.

Last edited:
I appreciate what you're saying he's had a pig of a time with injury since he arrived and I genuinely feel sorry for what appears to be a likeable lad. The players you mentioned though I'm not having a comparable

Stones, Bernardo and Rodri all early 20s two of whom coming from another league and in Bernardos case we'd all seen first hand how good he was in that Monaco side and he did well for us 1st season in the main.

The problem is he's never going to get chance to get into a rhythm is he given him competing with someone as good as Rodri. After last night I'd guess he'll be lucky to start another 3 games this season and so the circle continues. Ideally we need someone who can do a job in there and play further forward like Gundogan can.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the lad kicks on and becomes a good option for us but as it stands I'd be surprised if he's still with us in 6 months.

I think you'll have to be surprised then.

The only way Philips is leaving is whether it's mutual or injuries are too much.

The kid is 27, it doesn't really matter about the ages of the other players or where they've played previously, they are all internationals, so you can't give them an excuse that Philips also doesn't qualify for or we'd have written off Rodrigo when he was understudying Fernandinho!

Anyone else bought to "do a job" would be subject to the same learning curve unless they've played that system or under Guardiola before.

You can't pick and choose the logic.

Javi Garcia had a fit bird and drank sangria though
Handsome bastard as well.

The real question is who is the most handsome player we've had in the past 20 years so. Javi Garcia? Corluka? Stones? Maybe Kun?

About to go on a deep dive and will report back with my findings

The only way he's going to get a run of games is if (heaven forbid) Rodri gets injured and is out for some time.

We may find that it's KP who's needed for 100% of our games from some point this season. Only then will we find out if he's up to the task.
If Rodney gets injured pep will do a pep and play Lewis there

Handsome bastard as well.

The real question is who is the most handsome player we've had in the past 20 years so. Javi Garcia? Corluka? Stones? Maybe Kun?

About to go on a deep dive and will report back with my findings
Hope you have plenty of tissues

Judging Phillips after two games is absurd even for Bluemoon.

He was a good player for a decent Leeds team and played well for England at a major championship.

He clearly needs to improve his fitness but will become a valuable squad member for us over the next few years.

My concerns are he strolled about last night playing like he hasn't a care in the world. He played ok but ok isn't enough. I wanted to see him play as though it was his biggest game ever. I wanted to see passion and total commitment, a MOTM performance even.

Phillips needs to realise if he wants tobe a winner and stay at this club he needs to roll his sleeves up and put in 8/10 no nonsense displays(when called upon) if he wants to seriously challenge Rodri's starting position.

I was once critical of Rodri because he didn't look like he'd make it. He proved me wrong and several others and he has become possibly our most important player. I want Phillips to prove me wrong but I'm not sure if he has the fire in his belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.