4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my sins, I had a long chat with everyone's favourite scallyrag, Michael Owen about 8/9 years ago, about all things football.

I mentioned Javi Garcia, who was coming through the ranks at Real when Owen was there. Owen laughed and said that Javi was seen as a joke player by the Real squad. Definitely not a Galactico.

He saw, Javi as the Real equivalent of Tottenham's Des Walker... A player who had fluked his way through the youth system who no-one ever thought would make it, but suddenly became a big success at a major club. In Des's case, Forest.

Personally, I think Javi Garcia was very underrated at City, and would probably have been a much better player had he been here under Pep Guardiola. (I'd say pretty much the same about Fernando tbh)

Having mentioned little Michael, I'm now going to wash my hands and disinfect my keyboard.

When Michael Owen joined Real Madrid Garcia would have been 17?

Which means he would have been 18 when Owen bombed out of Spain.

Also I don't understand the Walker comparison? He joined Forest at 14 and made it big there.

Anyway Owen is a grade A twat and his disapproval would only make me like a player more.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing him make a pass one day that isn't backwards or sideways. Move on from him, we can do better...much better.

When Michael Owen joined Real Madrid Garcia would have been 17?

Which means he would have been 18 when Owen bombed out of Spain.

Also I don't understand the Walker comparison? He joined Forest at 14 and made it big there.

Anyway Owen is a grade A twat and his disapproval would only make me like a player more.

Only repeating what Owen told me.

As for Des Walker, he was standing in the tunnel at Forest when Spurs went out to warm up pre-match. Some of the Spurs lads recognised him and chatted with him. They thought he was working on the ground staff at the City Ground and couldn't believe he had a playing contract.

True story, told by Des In a conversation I had with him in the early 90s.

The first years always the hardest for any of our English based players at the club. Sterling , Jack , Stones and even Kyle Walker were average when they arrived at the club it took them time to adjust to playing for a club looking to win every competition we are in. I would give Phillips another season before we judge him. This season injuries a world cup in the middle of the season and fitness issues didn't help. I am not saying he's going to be starting ahead of Rodri in the big games but he needs to find his feet in the team. I think he will be given game time from now to the end of the season let's just see how he gets on.

It's amazing to think what that screamer would have done for his confidence. I would have loved to see how his 90 would have went if he would have scored that.

Regardless, he looks like someone who is not comfortable out there.
No way Pep can play him as the pivot in any meaningful game right now.
I don't hate the idea of bringing him in as a sub (next to Rodri not for Rodri) moving forward when trying to close must win games in the PL or CL down the stretch, but Pep doesn't seem at all confident in doing that based on the past few weeks.

Last 15-20 minutes Nottingham away was the obvious choice to do that, and Pep showed that he doesn't trust him.

For this thread, read the Rodri thread of a couple of seasons ago. We have barely seen Kalvin in a blue shirt - just give him time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.