4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently not at the races for me but there are mitigating circumstances so more time is clearly needed.

In the small amount of time I have seen him play there are two main issues for me.

1. Making himself available for more passes. I think he hides a bit. In this position he must be the cog around which our play revolves. Looks nervous when under pressure and I suspect he is not fully up to speed tactically with Peps system and what he is required to do. Seeing the bigger picture is key to this role.

2. Too many touches on the ball. Stops him from keeping moves in flow and slows us down. Again a lack of overall perception of what is going on around him.

Time on the pitch, and growing in confidence and understanding of the role are needed and getting minutes at the moment with Rodri around is tough, so I think it could be well into next season before we see what he is capable of.

As usual haters are out in force. Give the guy a chance ffs.

When will you ever learn?
Wouldn’t be surprised if some are former ”Plodri” baiters who now cream themselves every time he plays.

Now, I’ve no idea how KP will do in the long run but you’d think some people might have realised that City players often take months to really contribute.

I think the comparisons with Rodri's first season are ridiculous. In 15 minutes you could see so much quality in Rodri, and it was obvious that he just lacked the physicality of PL, and it was just about time to adapt to it. Really, I invite anyone who makes that stupid comparison to go and watch Rodri's first match (against Liverpool!!) and he was great that match. With 90 min, you don't get the full picture, but you get a really good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a player, and Kalvin is not a player for us. Especially when we talk about DM!!

I like him, he's a very elegant player to watch. He's gone from relegation fodder to playing the most demanding position in one of the best teams. He wasn't amazing the other night but not as poor as some are saying. A few shaky moments in the first half and a few nice touches including very nearly scoring in the first minute. Some of his passing throught the middle to KDB also caught my eye. They really went after us as they knew they had to score early to give themselves a chance. He was muscled off the ball a few times.

During the second half after they tired he looked more comfortable as did the rest of the team. I don't see him as a Rodwell/Sinclair type signing. He could still be a very good player for us over time. One of his strengths is playing the ball over the top which we are crying out for when Haaland plays.

There is definitely room for development and he is playing for the best coach in the world as a DM. On the other hand it's possible we might cash in on him, if we get Bellingham which seems unlikely it would be understandable. If we end up signing Rice it will cost us double and we will be left with similar issues with him also needing time to adapt.

He did OK against BC. OK they are not PL but its his first season. I remember a few others who didn't perform first season David Silva being one.

He's an excellent player, too soon to judge if he's capable of playing in our midfield.
Major problems he faces is he's competing with Rodri for a start and the fact he needs a good run of games to play himself into form which he is very unlikely to get.
It's a problem for the majority of our new signings which is why it usually takes half, or sometimes a full year with us to be capable of making an impact and stake a claim to be a regular.
Not many players in world football can join our squad and seamlessly become a major player.

Currently not at the races for me but there are mitigating circumstances so more time is clearly needed.

In the small amount of time I have seen him play there are two main issues for me.

1. Making himself available for more passes. I think he hides a bit. In this position he must be the cog around which our play revolves. Looks nervous when under pressure and I suspect he is not fully up to speed tactically with Peps system and what he is required to do. Seeing the bigger picture is key to this role.

2. Too many touches on the ball. Stops him from keeping moves in flow and slows us down. Again a lack of overall perception of what is going on around him.

Time on the pitch, and growing in confidence and understanding of the role are needed and getting minutes at the moment with Rodri around is tough, so I think it could be well into next season before we see what he is capable of.
Thats his biggest problem imo, lots of times he didnt give the defender an out ball, he just stood behind the opposing player.
A lot more side to side movement is needed from him in getting space to accept the pass, hopefully it will come though in time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.