4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leeds pulled our pants down here. He plays with no tempo, shys away from easy passes, loses his man easily, and doesn't tackle.

Everyime I've watched him is the wrong side of the opponent nearly every time.

He's 320 minutes (so 3 and a half full matches) into his City career.

Not looking great at the minute but who has, that early on?

The problem is I think of where he's going to get the minutes he needs in order to build up some proper experience of playing how Pep wants him to.

Rodri is so good and so vital that it's hard to imagine willingly dropping him because of the risk that comes with that.

Do we think Phillips will get the nod against Burnley? Would be massive for him if so.

I understand what you say mate, I don’t think you get to be a pro footballer without having a decent amount of desire, but I think he may be one of those players where it doesn’t appear obvious, and because of his lack of mobility, he can’t get about and raise his energy levels and work rate to compensate like say Bernardo can, if that makes sense ?

Makes sense indeed,and i hope that's the case.

I guess we saw a similar situation when Grealish rocked up....struggling and not quite hitting the heights or living up to expectation......with him though it was obvious,to me anyway,that things would eventually click.

We need a performing Philips,i guess that's a part of fan frustration too.

Makes sense indeed,and i hope that's the case.

I guess we saw a similar situation when Grealish rocked up....struggling and not quite hitting the heights or living up to expectation......with him though it was obvious,to me anyway,that things would eventually click.

We need a performing Philips,i guess that's a part of fan frustration too.
I just think it’s more a physical thing mate, Grealish is a good athlete and can change pace etc, and could see he could still raise his work rate to other levels, I’ve just never seen that with Kalvin, he was always a very one paced work horse/water carrier for me even at Leeds, very little dynamism so to speak, and I don’t think he has anything to compensate for that, like a quick brain, a killer pass, a great reading of the game.

I just think it’s more a physical thing mate, Grealish is a good athlete and can change pace etc, and could see he could still raise his work rate to other levels, I’ve just never seen that with Kalvin, he was always a very one paced work horse/water carrier for me even at Leeds, very little dynamism so to speak, and I don’t think he has anything to compensate for that, like a quick brain, a killer pass, a great reading of the game.

You may be right in terms of his limitations.Maybe i'm guilt of over rating him,and my expectations are unrealistic.

I thought his passing was ok when he came on. His positioning was a little better but he still needs to make himself available more. He got outmuscled easily at one point (again)and I don't like that. I get what folk are saying about his mobility though. He didn't look like he broke out of a jog.

It was a better display than previously when his imperfections actually changed the nature of the game when he came on. At least last night we continued to play good fluid possession football and Leipzig were not able to run through our midfield. I see that at least as a positive small step forward for Kalvin.

Pretty poor when he came on. Bernardo had to pass ahead of him just to make the point that he could move a bit more. He doesn't know the role at all. He came on to sit in front of the defence as a DM. We need him to be more on the front foot and offering for the ball, he needs to realise he has to do a lot more than that with us. He then got outmuscled and robbed of the ball and trotted back whilst Akanji wiped the guy out and got a booking. A booking that could mean he gets suspended later on when we need him. That's simply not good enough.

You may be right in terms of his limitations.Maybe i'm guilt of over rating him,and my expectations are unrealistic.
I’ve never been onboard with his signing if I’m being honest, said so at the time, that’s not to say I didn’t want him to prove me wrong, before anyone starts, and I still hope he does, but if I was a betting man lol.

He's 320 minutes (so 3 and a half full matches) into his City career.

Not looking great at the minute but who has, that early on?

The problem is I think of where he's going to get the minutes he needs in order to build up some proper experience of playing how Pep wants him to.

Rodri is so good and so vital that it's hard to imagine willingly dropping him because of the risk that comes with that.

Do we think Phillips will get the nod against Burnley? Would be massive for him if so.
For me though, I couldn’t give a shit if he’s taking up the wrong positions or if he’s still unsure on how he needs to press etc. Those technical things are what can only come with game time and familiarity. What I’m bothered by is how he looks totally disinterested and passive. After the season he’s had, you’d expect/want the player to be giving everything they have to turn it around but with Phillips, can anyone honestly say he’s giving them that impression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.