4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he just stands behind an opposing player when we have the ball is weird, just doesnt give our player with the ball an out pass
Declan Rice does a very similar thing when he plays that role too

Not sure why, I don't know if it's shirking responsibility or just a lack of football intelligence in that department

Or we've even spoiled watching Rodri

His career with us is over before it's even started, simply not good enough.

He looks utterly overawed of the pitch and for me that will never change.

That could be a bit harsh but could also be true

Like I said previously, I've yet to finish watching a game and think I'd like to see him on the pitch more

But that's my opinion. I know nothing compared to Pep and Co. If they do wanna keep him then they might see something in the bigger picture.

If we do move him on soon for a better option, I don't think anyone would be surprised. Wouldn't blame the lad if he wanted a move for more game time either really.

Like I said previously, I've yet to finish watching a game and think I'd like to see him on the pitch more

But that's my opinion. I know nothing compared to Pep and Co. If they do wanna keep him then they might see something in the bigger picture.

If we do move him on soon for a better option. I don't think anyone would be surprised. Wouldn't blame the lad if he wanted a move for more game time either really.
I think not starting the same yesterday says everything, Rodri looked very leggy yesterday and would have benefited with a game off, but sadly Pep simply does not trust Kalvin Phillips.

Last few times I've watched him he looks scared of the ball. Hopefully just a confidence thing as he looked a better player before he joined us.

Reminds me of an under 11's kid suddenly playing for the under 15's. Looks lost and watches the game go by.

Will wait to next season as with all of Peps signings

Nothing against the lad. I hope he improves next season, if he’s still at the club? But sadly he isn’t at the level City are at or need. He will have a choice next season to maybe stay and take the money or go and play for another club and get regular football.

If we do move him on soon for a better option, I don't think anyone would be surprised. Wouldn't blame the lad if he wanted a move for more game time either really.
If he starts moving now he might get to his next club for the start of next season.

Declan Rice does a very similar thing when he plays that role too

Not sure why, I don't know if it's shirking responsibility or just a lack of football intelligence in that department

Or we've even spoiled watching Rodri
I think it's more about understanding the demands of being a Pep DM. It's not as simple as breaking up play and playing the ball off to a more creative player. Moving and receiving passes to keep the possession going forward is very important. As you mention, it's something Rice lacks too, and I'm certain it's a part why England looks so dire under Southgate.

Comparison to Busquets in the last World Cup, and I noticed he's directing the movement of the ball even when he doesn't have it.

Hopefully, if Phillips stays a 2nd year under Pep, he can learn and improve this facet of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.