4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad at first and got bypassed easily but kind of grew into the game and was much better in the second half when England were under the cosh a bit. Hopefully valuable minutes for him.

There is a player in there but whether or not it's a Pep player remains to be seen. Somehow I think we will see the best of him next season - if he is still around.

The usual grey man performance he excels at.He did ok,better than I expected in all honesty....but there is just a frustrating lack of spark with the lad.....he never really steps out of a comfort zone.

Good for him to play the full game. Sloppy in the first half but grew into the game. But if you were to watch England and wonder which player Pep signed as cover for Rodri it would have been Rice who is so much more influential on the ball. Phillips literally seems to only focus on winning the ball back, he doesn't seem to have much desire to get on the ball and dictate the game.

He also seems really sluggish still. Initial intensity, but if he doesn't win the ball he is easily turned and then looks like a bus trying to turn and chase back.

If we were 1-0 up in Munich needing to see the game out then I would be fine with him coming on but it would have to be with Rodri not instead of, and that says it all about his performances really. Whether it is confidence or ability I am not sure, but he is absolutely miles off where he needs to be to cover Rodri.

How did he play today for England
Gave the ball away 3 times in the first five minutes in dangerous positions. Kept getting bypassed in midfield due to poor decision making & being shockingly slow. I was extremely surprised he was kept on for the full 90 min.
The only positive thing i can say is that he made a few nice one two triangular passes through midfield.

Good for him to play the full game. Sloppy in the first half but grew into the game. But if you were to watch England and wonder which player Pep signed as cover for Rodri it would have been Rice who is so much more influential on the ball. Phillips literally seems to only focus on winning the ball back, he doesn't seem to have much desire to get on the ball and dictate the game.

He also seems really sluggish still. Initial intensity, but if he doesn't win the ball he is easily turned and then looks like a bus trying to turn and chase back.

If we were 1-0 up in Munich needing to see the game out then I would be fine with him coming on but it would have to be with Rodri not instead of, and that says it all about his performances really. Whether it is confidence or ability I am not sure, but he is absolutely miles off where he needs to be to cover Rodri.

The good thing is I always forget Rodri is only 26. If he was much older and Phillips was brought in as an eventual replacement then I'd be worried.

He's basically an expensive back up and not particularly that good. I do feel we could've got someone just as good or better and less injury prone for less money, if they're only going to feature a handful of times anyway.

Could have just kept Lavia. He's just as good in my opinion and younger, with possibly a higher ceiling.

I don't know, Phillips seems a great lad and I support all our players and will them to be great but I was baffled by this signing when it happened and not much has changed.

More than happy to be proven wrong though.

The good thing is I always forget Rodri is only 26. If he was much older and Phillips was brought in as an eventual replacement then I'd be worried.

He's basically an expensive back up and not particularly that good. I do feel we could've got someone just as good or better and less injury prone for less money, if they're only going to feature a handful of times anyway.

Could have just kept Lavia. He's just as good in my opinion and younger, with possibly a higher ceiling.

I don't know, Phillips seems a great lad and I support all our players and will them to be great but I was baffled by this signing when it happened and not much has changed.

More than happy to be proven wrong though.

It's an odd one. I think alongside Rodri, Phillips would work really well. If we need to see out a game then Kalvin (when fully fit and firing) is very good at getting on the front foot and getting a foot in. He does also have a good range of passing, to set up a counter attack. It's the control in possession that you don't get from him, as he's never really played in a team that dominate the ball and keep it for long periods. Leeds were end to end, England have always been the team with less possession generally too. He sticks out like a sore thumb currently because Rodri is always there. If the two CBs are marked, Rodri's there for the outball from Ederson. If the passing triangle between Gundo/Ake/Grealish is blocked off then Rodri's again there as an extra man to then spread the ball the other side or create space for them.

Phillips' mindset is just to be in a deep lying position in case the opposition get the ball. And it's understandable. He's not played much football and he's playing in one of the best sides in the world, in the hardest position. It's difficult. He might get there, but as you say, by the time he does how long can he give us? Lavia could have spent 5 years developing and still had a long future as the main man for us.

Like Grealish, it might be a slow burner. Or like Mahrez, it might take one game for fans to suddenly see his value to the side. I'm picturing the CL final, 89mins on the clock and we're 1-0 up and under pressure. He gets a foot in, carries the ball before spraying it through to Haaland who makes it 2-0 and wins us the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.