4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being linked with a return to Leeds and a move to the Hammers this morning which tells you the level he’s at. I did say he was a weird signing at the time and Lavia would prove a better bet in the long run. If we can anything close to what we paid for him then definitely get rid.
I’d normally say we signed him, so should work with him for at least a few seasons based on our initial judgement. In this case I’d cut our losses for £30m and get a good technical player in, like Kovacic, to help take the burden off Rodri.

We shouldn't ever give chance to Rodri, Ake and Grealish on their first season then.
None of them were as bad as Phillips. Rodri looked solid but lost possession a few times, Ake did ok. Grealish didn’t look worth £100m but was ok and always kept the ball. All were many levels above Phillips so far.

None of them were as bad as Phillips. Rodri looked solid but lost possession a few times, Ake did ok. Grealish didn’t look worth £100m but was ok and always kept the ball. All were many levels above Phillips so far.

None of them arrived and dislocated their shoulder multiple times, needed surgery and then went off to a midseason world cup either.

I'm concerned about how Pep is pretty much refusing to play him, but ultimately he's the one to blame here if Kalvin isn't good enough. No one forces players on Pep, if we signed Phillips it's because the manager wanted him.

If he's really misjudged it and Rice leaving West Ham means we end up with an opportuinity to recoup most of our money, go for it, but it would be a fairly major admission on failure.

It's like the old Malcolm Tucker line "Sacked after a week, it looks like the PM fucked up, sacked after a year, looks like you fucked up" - except in football parlance 1 disrupted season = 1 week.

None of them arrived and dislocated their shoulder multiple times, needed surgery and then went off to a midseason world cup either.

I'm concerned about how Pep is pretty much refusing to play him, but ultimately he's the one to blame here if Kalvin isn't good enough. No one forces players on Pep, if we signed Phillips it's because the manager wanted him.

It's like the old Malcolm Tucker line "Sacked after a week, it looks like the PM fucked up, sacked after a year, looks like you fucked up".

Except in football parlance 1 disrupted season = 1 week.
Ok Phillips has had bad luck but what worries me about him is he seems to lack spatial awareness on the field. This is hard to coach but is essential at the top level. You can see that Rico has it. Rico will make mistakes but get better. I fear we have made a mistake with Phillips. We don’t make many.

If he's really misjudged it and Rice leaving West Ham means we end up with an opportuinity to recoup most of our money, go for it, but it would be a fairly major admission on failure.

It's like the old Malcolm Tucker line "Sacked after a week, it looks like the PM fucked up, sacked after a year, looks like you fucked up" - except in football parlance 1 disrupted season = 1 week.
Our record over years has been pretty good with regards to transfers and every club/ manger gets the odd one wrong. It the nature of transfers they are always a gamble some more so than others.

Every manager makes bad calls on transfers, it's admiting your wrong that's the difficult part.

Pleased to say Pep never had issues in doing that, the speed he moved on Big nose and the money lost from Barca was incredible.

Phillips hasn’t had much game time, mostly due to injury and the World Cup interruption. I think he needs to be given a chance next season.

This along with all the others at the start of this thread aged well…
Do you normally give your book reviews after reading the first chapter?

I’d venture “slow and overweight” would have been two of the things said about Rodri after his first stint here, living in Fernandinho’s shadow.

But, you do your lap of honor and I’ll be waiting when you get back around the pitch.

I had my doubts before we signed him that he was vastly overrated and nothing has changed my mind same with Declan Rice who gets smoke blown up his arse by the media. Both not top drawer players and I would let him go as he appears to shirk the tackle too often and is not spacially aware of what is happening around him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.