4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some seem to prefer to have a player fail? What is it about us that Ake, Mahrez, Rodri, Gundogan, Grealish, and now Phillips, that some feel the need to condemn them as unfit to wear the shirt so early in their time at the club? I cannot get my head around this aspect of our fanbase, and never have, from big Joe, to 'boo' Bowyer, to Edgy and on. It has always been an issue for us and I wonder whether all fanbases are the same, or we are uniquely negative.

Why do some seem to prefer to have a player fail? What is it about us that Ake, Mahrez, Rodri, Gundogan, Grealish, and now Phillips, that some feel the need to condemn them as unfit to wear the shirt so early in their time at the club? I cannot get my head around this aspect of our fanbase, and never have, from big Joe, to 'boo' Bowyer, to Edgy and on. It has always been an issue for us and I wonder whether all fanbases are the same, or we are uniquely negative.
Negativity like this from our own fanbase encourages rival fans to pile on our players as well. It's extremely... unfortunate.

Negativity like this from our own fanbase encourages rival fans to pile on our players as well. It's extremely... unfortunate.

While there is negativity.. there is also the reality that Pep clearly does not trust Kalvin.

And I don't see that changing as there's a bigger picture that is being missed here.

Remember Kalvin's game against Southampton?
It was sink or swim.

The whole reason why City went for Perrone (a defensive midfielder) was they didn't think Kalvin was up to par.

That was Jan 11.

Interesting isn't it how that whole transfer happened after the Carabao Cup game.

This might be controversial and I might step on KP fans but I truly believe the moment Perrone has the physicality to be a Premier League defensive midfielder, he'll displace Kalvin and be the backup to Rodri.

How long that takes is how long Kalvin will be at City and not a season longer.

1680144484036.png

While there is negativity.. there is also the reality that Pep clearly does not trust Kalvin.

And I don't see that changing.

Remember Kalvin's game against Southampton?
It was sink or swim.

The whole reason why City went for Perrone (a defensive midfielder) was they didn't think Kalvin was up to par.

That was Jan 11.

Interesting isn't it how that whole transfer happened after the Carabao Cup game.

This might be controversial and I might step on KP fans but I truly believe the moment Perrone has the physicality to be a Premier League defensive midfielder, he'll displace Kalvin and be the backup to Rodri.

How long that takes is how long Kalvin will be at City and not a season longer.

View attachment 73504
Did you see how long his $$$ contract is?

I’m not saying it’ll be a deal breaker, but it won’t make any sale easy, even if City want rid.

I think he’s still got a season to figure out the “chicken with its head firmly attached” football Pep wants, as opposed to what Bielsa preached at Leeds!

I like Phillips but his main and pretty much only attribute is of a defensive midfielder.
If that’s all you bring to the table he would need to be exceptional at it. Konte, makalele, fernandhino level.
For me, gundog, Bernardo and even Rico could do equally well in that role but also offer more going forward.
I get he might still be playing his way back to full fitness. But he loses the ball too frequently for a player whose job is solely to win and keep the ball.
I’m not writing him off as pep has a fantastic record at polishing turds but this would be his biggest test.

Did you see how long his $$$ contract is?

I’m not saying it’ll be a deal breaker, but it won’t make any sale easy, even if City want rid.

I think he’s still got a season to figure out the “chicken with its head firmly attached” football Pep wants, as opposed to what Bielsa preached at Leeds!
Very good points.
I'd say he is a decent player and not one I'd want rushed out of City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.