4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's worse player than him in term of appearance Maximo Perrone, they guy only play two subs appearance for us i think after his january transfer then disappears. Will that guy is going to disappears next summer? I don't think so. Perrone play "better" than Phillips when he get his chances yet didn't give chance further after two subs appearances.

Clearly it's not because whether he deserved to play or not because we already in critical phase in the season to must win every game until the end of season can't afford time to play Philips in lone dm position the most difficult position in Pep team ever, needing his team to keep momentum winning even against Sheffield United you may guys think that it just a fucking Sheffield United a championship team but in Pep perspective it must absolute priority to win the match and progress to final FA Cup to win the competition.

Look if Pep lose faith on Philips like so many already judged in here then he will never ever get chances to play after World Cup and uses all ot his minutes to play Maximo Perrone instead but he doesn't do that still giving Phillips a higher priority of minutes than Perrone a younger guy with much potential than Phillips.

Last edited:
People saying “give him a chance”, “judge him next season” etc I feel are missing the glaring difference between him and previous examples of players that took a year or so for the penny to drop in terms of what’s expected from them on the pitch… those other examples were still trusted to play football. Phillips isn’t. So that has to mean something. Not having Pep’s trust is different to not quite getting his role yet.

People saying “give him a chance”, “judge him next season” etc I feel are missing the glaring difference between him and previous examples of players that took a year or so for the penny to drop in terms of what’s expected from them on the pitch… those other examples were still trusted to play football. Phillips isn’t. So that has to mean something. Not having Pep’s trust is different to not quite getting his role yet.

Then why Pep didn't give all of Philips minutes after World Cup to Maximo Perrone instead, he play "better" than Philips when he given the chances of his two subs apperances but after that disappears.

The guy clearly is fucking younger and have much higher potential than Philips yet for the supposed opinion of Pep losing faith on Philips he still give minutes to Philips instead Perrone.

There's worse player than him in term of appearance Maximo Perrone, they guy only play two subs appearance for us i think after his january transfer then disappears. Will that guy is going to disappears next summer? I don't think so. Perrone play "better" than Phillips when he get his chances yet didn't give chance further after two subs appearances.

Clearly it's not because whether he deserved to play or not because we already in critical phase in the season to must win every game until the end of season can't afford time to play Philips in lone dm position the most difficult position in Pep team ever, needing his team to keep momentum winning even against Sheffield United you may guys think that it just a fucking Sheffield United a championship team but in Pep perspective it must absolute priority to win the match and progress to final FA Cup to win the competition.

Look if Pep lose hope Philips then he will never ever get chances to play after World Cup and uses all ot his minutes to play Maximo Perrone instead but he doesn't do that still giving Phillips a higher priority of minutes than Perrone a younger guy with much potential than Phillips.
Also maybe Pep wants to maintain momentum in terms of the winning mentality, in terms of keeping the first 11-15 players too busy to overthink and in terms of keeping players physically ticking over.

Obviously you risk injury but that's were the rest of the squad comes in.

We may yet have to depend on Phillips and we might yet be lauding him as a trophy clinching player (even though I also have been massively disappointed in his first season). Stranger things at City have happened over the yurs.

He clearly must have shown something because Pep signed off on 40m for the lad. Then he packed his bags with a glowing review from Bielsa and joined City.

What top 6 are we talking about here because he walks into the rags and spuds midfield.

Txiki does the deals. Bielsa is an overrated coach who ran players into the ground to get out of the Championship and then struggled in the PL.

Phillips was probably signed because he's English. The squad needed a new 'water carrier' in the mould of James Milner or Gareth Barry. Instead, we signed a new Fernando or Javi Garcia.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure that no other club was reported to have shown any particular interest in Phillips when we signed him. We were in a field of one, and eyebrows have been raised ever since.

Would Tottenham or the rags have him? Possibly.
Would he "walk into" either first team? Maybe Tottenham's, but imo he's not as good as McTominay at Trafford.
Would he be any better at either? Almost certainly not.

I don't really care about other clubs. All indications are that he's struggling to achieve or maintain expectations at City, surrounded by world class players, under the best coach in the business.

I simply believe that he's not good enough to play for Manchester City at our current level.

What top 6 are we talking about here because he walks into the rags and spuds midfield.

Wish this was right, but I certainly don't think he'd get in united's ahead of Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes.

Not really sure what Spurs best midfield is, he could possibly get in there. I know they have Hojberg and Bentacur there regularly, maybe Bissouma also? He wouldn't get in ahead of the first 2 though, but if they play with 3, maybe. Hojberg's a dirty bastard, but he's pretty street smart and a decent player.

Villa/West Ham is more his level I think.

I think the damage was done when he came back "unfit" from the WC, that clearly pissed Pep and it looks like that has ended his career with us.

Philips is now clearly fit but if your not starting against Sheffield with the fixtures we have in the next month I simply can't see he has a future here.
Obviously, he didn't do himself any favours coming back from the world cup unfit/overweight. But I would like to see him given until next season to prove himself, however I don't think that will happen. The writing is on all the wall, yesterday was an ideal opportunity to start him with Rodri being yesterday, but Pep thought differently.

One more little point on Phillips, because I don’t want to bash him too much but this is a point that I’ve been meaning to make since Rico Lewis came in to the team in January.

Phillips played RB many times for Leeds I believe, as well as playing CDM. Surely he would have been the ideal candidate to learn the inverted fullback role? I wonder if we might see that next season..
I fucking hope not. Absolute garbage he is. If he's still at City next season I'll be amazed. Hard to believe we payed top dollar for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.