47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Give the boy the chance to play! At this point he is the second most creative in the team, kdb being the first.

I'm sure Bernie would probably take that spot if he's given a free role but Pep prefers using Bernie in a more restricted system so that leaves the attack build up to either Kdb or Phil and some how Phil still ends up on the bench.

Hope he signed a longterm contract with us as the "choppy" start and stop thing could easily push certain players to look for more starting opportunities elsewhere. Play the kid!
City always look better when both Phil and Bernardo are starters.

Not a chance he gets in before Rodri/Kovacic, hindsight is great but yesterday he could have played instead of Alvarez but as said earlier Pep is not starting him for a reason and that's unknown to all of us.
TBH I don't think Rodri + Kovacic a very smooth pair right now. Kovacic is very skillful. But it seems that we lose a bit of sharpness around the box when they play together.

In the longer term I trust that Kovacic will be a great 8 for us but right now I still prefer Bernado or Foden in that position - at least before we lead 1-0 up.

Not a chance he gets in before Rodri/Kovacic, hindsight is great but yesterday he could have played instead of Alvarez but as said earlier Pep is not starting him for a reason and that's unknown to all of us.

Exactly,we would have to put some real noses out of joint and play square pegs to enable Phil to play as a 10.He is doing a great job wider currently,and the team benefits from that.

Alvarez weakens us in comparison to Phil,so hopefully just getting up to speed.

TBH I don't think Rodri + Kovacic a very smooth pair right now. Kovacic is very skillful. But it seems that we lose a bit of sharpness around the box when they play together.

In the longer term I trust that Kovacic will be a great 8 for us but right now I still prefer Bernado or Foden in that position - at least before we lead 1-0 up.
FFS 4 games in...come on, People are giving Kalvin the benefit after a calendar year

If I was Foden during the next England get together, I'd be working on some extra finishing drills with Harry Kane's guidance. If it's the weakest part of your game you need to put in the extra time required so search out Haaland at City and Kane with England and get practising all different types of finishes. If he's already doing it, it needs more attention.

Why is there already not a chance he gets in over Kovacic?

If I was Foden during the next England get together, I'd be working on some extra finishing drills with Harry Kane's guidance. If it's the weakest part of your game you need to put in the extra time required so search out Haaland at City and Kane with England and get practising all different types of finishes. If he's already doing it, it needs more attention.
That's a great idea, I'm sure Pep or Phil hadn't thought of such a revolutionary answer

Why is there already not a chance he gets in over Kovacic?
It’s difficult for Foden because he cannot offer the control that Bernardo/Kovacic have in the middle and gundo and David silva used to give before, but also he doesn’t have the sheer creativity/numbers to justify the lack of control provided like KDB. So to pep there isn’t anything really that Phil can give that isn’t already there.

Hence why pep pointed out in the last press conference that he’s missing some things to be trusted as a regular centrally. Not to say that Foden isn’t special, he is it’s just that in terms of core midfield skillsets we’re already well stocked.

By the looks of Álvarez being slow off the mark all game yesterday and blowing out of his arse at the end of each half, I’d say it’s because Álvarez isn’t fit for the season yet and needed 90 minutes.

Everyone’s reading too much into Foden not starting one game. For all we know he might play the most minutes in the team this coming season.

Foden does need to work on his shooting technique though.

Despite both (the CL final chance and the chance he had yesterday) being quick fire chances and in close proximity to a ‘keeper making himself big at close range, Foden did what he often does when shooting, in moving his head away from the ball and shutting his eyes/looking in another direction when shooting. And both ended up being unclean hits not put where the ‘keeper can’t get it.

In both instances he could have taken the game away from the opposition by making it 2-0 but didn’t score either chance. This gave both Inter and Arsenal a chance to equalise as both games stayed 1-0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.