47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the looks of Álvarez being slow off the mark all game yesterday and blowing out of his arse at the end of each half, I’d say it’s because Álvarez isn’t fit for the season yet and needed 90 minutes.

Everyone’s reading too much into Foden not starting one game. For all we know he might play the most minutes in the team this coming season.

Foden does need to work on his shooting technique though.

Despite both (the CL final chance and the chance he had yesterday) being quick fire chances and in close proximity to a ‘keeper making himself big at close range, Foden did what he often does when shooting, in moving his head away from the ball and shutting his eyes/looking in another direction when shooting. And both ended up being unclean hits not put where the ‘keeper can’t get it.

In both instances he could have taken the game away from the opposition by making it 2-0 but didn’t score either chance. This gave both Inter and Arsenal a chance to equalise as both games stayed 1-0.
100% this, pre season is all about fitness, getting minutes into legs, we hopefully will be playing over 60 games this season, EVERYONE in this squad will get their time, it's up to them when they do to take their chance.

Phil has to start imo.
We look a different team when he's on the pitch, he just adds a different quality.

I'd start him ahead of Grealish at the moment.

How come?
To me Phil is a much better player. He brings a more rounded game and would have a bigger impact on our team than Jack.

I don't think Jack has played that well in pre-season and i thought he didn't play well in the FA cup or CL finals, so i think losing his place might help him focus and get better in the long run.

By the looks of Álvarez being slow off the mark all game yesterday and blowing out of his arse at the end of each half, I’d say it’s because Álvarez isn’t fit for the season yet and needed 90 minutes.

Everyone’s reading too much into Foden not starting one game. For all we know he might play the most minutes in the team this coming season.

Foden does need to work on his shooting technique though.

Despite both (the CL final chance and the chance he had yesterday) being quick fire chances and in close proximity to a ‘keeper making himself big at close range, Foden did what he often does when shooting, in moving his head away from the ball and shutting his eyes/looking in another direction when shooting. And both ended up being unclean hits not put where the ‘keeper can’t get it.

In both instances he could have taken the game away from the opposition by making it 2-0 but didn’t score either chance. This gave both Inter and Arsenal a chance to equalise as both games stayed 1-0.

Agree on the fitness point, but Phil's always done that stiff head/neck thing when he shoots. His finishing is generally pretty good and always has been quite good for a midfielder. It's something he can definitely improve on, because I think he could easily be getting 20+ a season with his movement and attacking intent. But I don't think that's the reason he doesn't score, it's more down to the fact he isn't a striker so will miss the occasional chance.

As a comparison in their most prolific seasons for us:
De Bruyne 19 goals in 44 games
Gundogan 17 goals in 46 games
Sane 16 goals in 47 games
Bernardo 13 goals in 50 games
David Silva 12 goals in 42 games
Phil 16 goals in 50 games

Something he can definitely work on, but he'll always miss chances because he isn't a striker. That's why having Haaland in the team makes such a difference, because we often do score in tight games where we struggled having a combination of attacking midfielders/wingers who could be wasteful. Is the chance against Inter the one where he span on the ball and carried it forwards before shooting straight at the keeper? That was a tough chance, one that deserved a goal for the skill, but not one I'd expect him to score.

To me Phil is a much better player. He brings a more rounded game and would have a bigger impact on our team than Jack.

I don't think Jack has played that well in pre-season and i thought he didn't play well in the FA cup or CL finals, so i think losing his place might help him focus and get better in the long run.
I would play them both on the left. Jack on ex Gundo position. Or tell them they can swap all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.