47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be let of his leash and do what he wants for a few games. Then we can judge.
What do we need to judge though? I’ve seen enough to see a player who would walk into any other team in Europe. His only problem bar the odd injury here and there which has held him back, is the fact he’s at the best team in the world and playing every week in your favoured position isn’t a guarantee regardless of your ability.

I've been making the same point for a while, but it always turns into a binary debate with no middle ground

Foden has become a 10 goal a Season PL Midfielder, which for somebody who doesn't take penalties, is absolutely fantastic

However, whereas Messi had arguably become the best player in the world at 23-24, we're still debating Foden's potential,.(or even his best position) as though he's some kind of emerging talent.

There's a common misconception that players don't peak until their late 20s, when the vast majority of world class performers actually hit the ground running at a much earlier age.

To be fair I don’t think it’s fair to compare any player to messi. No one is or has been as good as him.

I feel like foden is often held to a different standard compared to other players. At times unless he gets man of the match displays he will get criticised for something. Yet other players who we spend fortunes on don’t get anywhere near as much criticsm.

He’s been excellent this season. He’s often putting in 7/10 performances or he’s one of the best players on the pitch.

I feel like foden is often held to a different standard compared to other players. At times unless he gets man of the match displays he will get criticised for something. Yet other players who we spend fortunes on don’t get anywhere near as much criticsm.

He’s been excellent this season. He’s often putting in 7/10 performances or he’s one of the best players on the pitch.
He is on this forum mate, I’ve very seldom heard a city fan in real life give him the kind of criticism you see on here.
More pertinent though is where I am and the businesses I have I’m talking to hundreds of different people from all over the U.K. on a monthly basis who support a myriad of teams and pretty much to a man (and woman) they drool over him.
This place can suck the life out of even the most optimistic City fan.

To be fair I don’t think it’s fair to compare any player to messi. No one is or has been as good as him.
Fair enough, but my point wasn't so much about Messi, as the mythical notion that players gradually improve until they peak at around 28-29, when the really elite performers announce themselves much earlier.
Aguero was only 23 when he joined City, whilst De Bruyne and David Silva weren't that much older.

Even at Chelsea on Sunday, I could people around me describing Foden as some kind of emerging talent, but somewhere along the line he needs to become more influential and clinical when it really matters.

Otherwise he'll remain a highly talented 10-goal-a-season midfielder, who "almost" scored a fantastic goal in the CL Final, but doesn't always start in the big games.

Again, that isn't necessarily a criticism, but he's now reaching that part of his career where he needs to define his true worth.

Again, that isn't necessarily a criticism, but he's now reaching that part of his career where he needs to define his true worth.

It’s not a direct criticism, but I’d say it’s still negative. I’m interested to know what you mean by true worth?

He’s been integral to a number of our trophies wins and has often been man of match or one of the best players in our biggest matches. Dortmund/ psg in the champions league, the final last year, United at home, Liverpool away, villa in the cup final to name a few games.

Some of the worlds best players weren’t dominating teams at 22/23 years old. You did use messi to compare, which I think is pointless with all players.

When de Bruyne joined I wouldn’t say he was instantly amazing and he had started a number of games before that. Foden has already emerged in my opinion and is an integral part of our side. That’s whilst having to play as a false 9 and not in his natural position in a lot of those games.

He could probably get more goals and assists, but I think that’s happening this season

Last edited:

It's 100% true and hard to understand as he's one of our own.

The reaction to Alvarez losing the ball compared to Phil is wildly different for whatever reason, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.