47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was getting seriously pissed off second half at not receiving the ball how many times did he take the ball on half turn (one of his main strengths btw )and run at there defence the midfield was swamped with bang average shite that isn’t on the same wavelength that Phil is used to

There were 2 big reasons that Foden didn't shine last night. The main tactic of hoofing it up to Kane which meant 99 times out of 100 we lost possession and the other England players were too scared to pass to him with a player close to him, this is when he is most dangerous. The opposition try and dive in and Phil goes passed him, lays it off for a 1-2 or gets fouled.

Because Southgate has always believed Phil couldn't play in the middle, based on Pep not trusting them there until this season. He doesn't seem to care that Klopp doesn't play TAA in midfield or that Bellingham has played a box to box role and deeper role quite regularly from Birmingham-Dortmund and even at Real.

We don't need to shift Saka. The biggest issue last night was that we dropped off and then played it long whenever we had the ball. Bellingham would be much better playing alongside Rice, picking it up from deep where he's unlikely to lose it because of his strength on the ball. He can still time his runs into the box, with Rice covering the space, but he's also there to ensure we can play out from the back. Foden's also intelligent enough to drop in and rotate, and it enables him to have an option left (Gordon/Eze) and right (Saka) as well as Kane to play off.
A Foden, Bellingham and Rice midfield would be my number one choice too. Too bad we probably won't get to see it. Southgate just doesn't see Bellingham as an #8. Oddly, as you said, that's actually where Bellingham played before Madrid.

Bellingham is a very good box attacker, and while that attribute shines when he plays in the #10, he's very far from what I'd label a creative force.

A Foden, Bellingham and Rice midfield would be my number one choice too. Too bad we probably won't get to see it. Southgate just doesn't see Bellingham as an #8. Oddly, as you said, that's actually where Bellingham played before Madrid.

Bellingham is a very good box attacker, and while that attribute shines when he plays in the #10, he's very far from what I'd label a creative force.

When our issues have always been about controlling a game and the balance between defence and attack, it's a no brainer to deploy Bellingham where he can get on the ball as much as possible. For Real he's played as a false 9 or as the front of a diamond but his role really is timing runs into the box and to feed the pace and directness of Vinicius and Rodrygo. We've got loads of great attacking players, plenty that are far more creative and direct and don't just rely on a late run into the box the way he does. We're trying to find a natural fit alongside Rice with the likes of TAA, Mainoo, Gallagher in there when Bellingham playing it makes the most sense and unlocks Foden ahead of him, enabling us to get natural width on the left hand side. It's not rocket science. Try it, and if it doesn't work fair enough. But what we did last night didn't work once Serbia committed more forwards.

I don't understand this logic at all. Nothing could be better for Foden and City than Foden playing, playing well and hopefully playing a big part in a successful tournament for England. That's the absolute best thing that can happen for City and Foden. Foden being benched and playing no part will do no good at all for him.
The flip side is that a poor tournament and performances could have an impact on city. I’d prefer he didn’t play at all.

How is that good for city? We want our players playing in the biggest tournaments and doing well.

We could also end up with a player down after being dropped for England. Playing for your country means the world to our players.
If he doesn’t play at all for England then he’s fit for city. That’s all I’m arsed about. International football is like heat magazine. Dog shit.

He played well for three minutes immediately after Arnold was subbed, that was when he moved into mf and started distributing balls. And then he disappeared again. I never saw him being so visibly pissed off like he was last night, probably he was aware he was somehow unable to shake off his 16 year old self when playing for England.

The problem is I don’t think rice can play as a single pivot (hence why arsenal play Jorginho or partay). So therefore rice needs someone next to him who is also defensively sound.

It then comes down to a straight choice between foden and Bellingham in the 10. As much as I love foden for city he just hasn’t performed for England where as Bellingham has been brilliant and plays with such personality he has to be the choice.

This then leaves Southgate with the choice of playing foden lw or leaving him out altogether. Personally I think it is better for the team he is left out all together and plays as bellinghams back up. It’s harsh but sadly for foden he plays in the same position as englands best player.

That perma tanned nobhead right back from Arsenal had the right idea. Fuck it off Phil and get yourself over to Ibiza for the rest of the summer..

Phil Foden was crap last night for England, the numbers speaks for itself

Attachments

• GQQzZvEXYAAh-zW.jpeg
    GQQzZvEXYAAh-zW.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.