47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Need both foden and bellingham to start forming a tight relationship and both playing midfield

They have the ability to be our very own xavi & iniesta midfield partnership that can dominate and dictate games

Will southgate do it - unlikely.

So its up to both the players to get together and have that discussion and then go and do it

Imagine watching Foden for the past few years and coming to the conclusion the poster you replied to has.
Would be funny if it wasn’t so depressing.

To be fair, I think the point is it’s not really about watching Foden, it’s watching England and how Southgate has them set up.

The way he’s currently got it, he wants two deep midfielders in front of the defence. In that set up, it is a choice between Bellingham and Foden and given the style of play, it suits the former more.

In that context I’d rather he leave out Foden and then it’s all on Southgate and whether that style of play works or not. I’d much rather he do that than keep Foden playing and he’s made a scapegoat for Southgate’s tactical issues.

Wrong forum for that, mate.
Many of the posters on here like to believe they’re ‘balanced’ and have no problem ripping into him.
All I've read this morning from so called experts like Jamie Ohara and Ian Wright is how infective he is . I say give them what they want and fucking drop him and play their beloved TAA , who by the way was gash, in Phils place. Cunts all of them. We don't need a pile on from 'blues' as well.
If he doesn't play he gets a rest. Fuck em.

Tbf Phil wasn't the only player to have an off night..
From about half hour in nobody was standout. Fortunately for a couple the decent first half hour was enough to escape any grief from the average fan who have been convinced from the weird commentary that seems to pick and choose who’s played well.

Need both foden and bellingham to start forming a tight relationship and both playing midfield

They have the ability to be our very own xavi & iniesta midfield partnership that can dominate and dictate games

Will southgate do it - unlikely.

So its up to both the players to get together and have that discussion and then go and do it
Bellingham doesn't dictate games, not like a Rodri or Gundogan do. Bellingham is very direct & passing isn't his first instinct..

Phil wasn't alone. His issue is that the narrative of him not playing well for England (which is a worthy debate) continued. Whilst central is his best position, it doesn't excuse a performance like last night. He is more than good enough to still perform, he wasn't progressive in the slightest and passed the ball almost immediately after receiving it, and usually backwards. I think he can more than handle the pressure as he has done with us, is he out of his comfort zone not playing for his club he has been at all his life, is the pressure of then doing it for England getting to him? I think there are many factors which contribute. I personally would Have Rice and Bellingham with Foden as the 10. Bellingham can do the 8 role well. Him scoring yesterday will lead people to believe he is the answer for the number 10. The number 10 is the creator, 4 shots at goal isn't creating much, against a lesser side.

Hope Phil thrives for the rest of the tournament and shuts up a lot of people.

I imagine it's impossible for him not to see the talk about him with all the downtime the players had between last night and Thursday. Say what you will about Southgate, but I think he's the right manager to put his arm around Foden and keep his confidence up at a time when he very likely needs it. Whether he starts him on Thursday is another question, but he's been loyal to him over the last two tournaments despite Phil not performing as well as we all know he can.

I imagine it's impossible for him not to see the talk about him with all the downtime the players had between last night and Thursday. Say what you will about Southgate, but I think he's the right manager to put his arm around Foden and keep his confidence up at a time when he very likely needs it. Whether he starts him on Thursday is another question, but he's been loyal to him over the last two tournaments despite Phil not performing as well as we all know he can.
That would be fair if it wasn’t for the fact Southgate is the main reason his confidence may be shot in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.