47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all weird. The mutants on social media are ripping Phil because he is a symbol of Man City, simple as...tribalism at it's worst.

That's exactly what it is, tribalism.

They know full well how good he is, he probably took the piss against most of their teams last season.

I'd love it if he turns it on, carries them through a semi final and final, wins them a trophy and then gives them the finger and doesn't play for England again.

That's exactly what it is, tribalism.

They know full well how good he is, he probably took the piss against most of their teams last season.

I'd love it if he turns it on, carries them through a semi final and final, wins them a trophy and then gives them the finger and doesn't play for England again.
Ya know one thing that makes me laugh...If Phil weren't on the pitch that side wouldn't be able to string together more than 3 passes. Go back and watch them play and then someone tell me I'm wrong...

There is a weird hate campaign against him on social media. He obviously hasn't been at his club level but who is?

Kane and Bellingham have been poorer than him every game outside the first but there is not a peep about either on social media.

He needs to score next game at the minimum to change the general opinion on him. The average fan doesn't care about anything else and will parrot that he has been shit even when Southgate praised his performance in particular.
There are people slagging him off because they reckon he didn't want to take a penalty. He wasn't on the pitch at the time but they're not letting that little detail get in the way of their agenda.

It reminds me of some of the disgusting treatment Sterling used to get. I'll be so glad when it's all over and I can get back to just following City again.

There are people slagging him off because they reckon he didn't want to take a penalty. He wasn't on the pitch at the time but they're not letting that little detail get in the way of their agenda.

It reminds me of some of the disgusting treatment Sterling used to get. I'll be so glad when it's all over and I can get back to just following City again.

I think it stems from a conversation Trent Arnold had with someone in the crowd, apparently some video shows him saying "he didn't wanna take one" to the person he was talking to.

Then from that people must assume it was Phil, because Arnold come on as a sub for him.

Sterling dragged England through the last Euros, despite getting a load of stick going into it.

Just grabbed this from the match replay. This was around the 3:45 mark. When I saw this I got genuinely excited because not only does Rice play two great risky forward passes into Foden, taking out the Swiss midfield, I thought for a second that maybe everyone else had twigged how we should be using him in the build up. He drifts into space, constantly looking around, takes it on the turn and plays it out to Saka quickly. Mainoo's pass is a touch behind him but they recover and Rice immediately plays it straight back, forward, into feet. Ultimately the move comes to nothing but the intent and the movment were all there. I'm not sure we did this a single time again in the entire match.

These players can do this, and Foden can and should be that lynchpin for the whole attack. He can score beautiful goals from the edge of the box but his real strength for England should be doing this. Drifting into tight spaces and progressing the ball, setting up chances for Saka, Kane (IMO ideally a more mobile striker that can occupy the defense and give him a bit more space to work), and Bellingham can still drift into the box to try and do his hero thing.

Unfortunately given the briefness of that segment above I don't think this will really click this tournament, and if we don't win the narrative will clearly be strongly anti-Foden, but he could and should be the key.

As for the rest, I also don't think they're on Phil's wavelength and they don't see the positions he takes up. Or even if they see it, they take too long to release it to him and the passing lane is nullified.
I think this is a large factor. In an interview I watched some time ago, Thierry Henry talked about his own experience with this. Convinced that a teammate deliberately wasn’t passing him the ball, he went to Wenger to vent. When the coach asked Henry “Did he see you?”, that was the lightbulb moment for him. He realized his teammate often ran into the box with his head down and the ball at his feet. Henry claims this simple question forced him to rethink his own game, on when he made himself available, what cues from his various teammates he watched out for to recognize they were going to pass the ball or hold onto it, etc. He claims this made him a better player as a result.

At City, Foden has developed intuition on these things with players like KDB, Silva, Rodri, etc. over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.