47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need mate, Phil is worldclass but going by his form at the national side, Saka is also world-class
I couldn't give a shit about Saka in all honesty.

If national side form means anything then we might get relegated next year. So I'll hold off basing my judgement for now.

Not one England player in any game of the Euros has been better than a 6/10, that's the hope, we can play miles better, and if we do we win it.
You won't get past the best overall player in the world no matter what you do...Vini, Jr. got himself carded and watched while Brazil went up in flames. Batman will meet his fate tomorrow. And Bellend won't win the Euros. Will the best player on the planet win the much-deserved Balon D'Or? That will be the question...

Just grabbed this from the match replay. This was around the 3:45 mark. When I saw this I got genuinely excited because not only does Rice play two great risky forward passes into Foden, taking out the Swiss midfield, I thought for a second that maybe everyone else had twigged how we should be using him in the build up. He drifts into space, constantly looking around, takes it on the turn and plays it out to Saka quickly. Mainoo's pass is a touch behind him but they recover and Rice immediately plays it straight back, forward, into feet. Ultimately the move comes to nothing but the intent and the movment were all there. I'm not sure we did this a single time again in the entire match.

These players can do this, and Foden can and should be that lynchpin for the whole attack. He can score beautiful goals from the edge of the box but his real strength for England should be doing this. Drifting into tight spaces and progressing the ball, setting up chances for Saka, Kane (IMO ideally a more mobile striker that can occupy the defense and give him a bit more space to work), and Bellingham can still drift into the box to try and do his hero thing.

Unfortunately given the briefness of that segment above I don't think this will really click this tournament, and if we don't win the narrative will clearly be strongly anti-Foden, but he could and should be the key.

Our City players trust Foden. They know if they look to give Foden the ball, he can do something with it.

That's not the case with the England team, bar Stones and Walker. Saka's cross could've easily been a pass to Foden, who would be in a position for a through-ball to Kane or Mainoo, or a long shot from a dangerous position.

I'm sure they recognize Foden is a very good player, but it's different when the team's thinks of him as key to the attack.

Seeing that Arnold was caught on camera talking to his brother saying “ yeah he refused to take one” and folk are using this to have a go at Phil assuming he refused to take a penalty. Fucking cunts. Bellingham will end up at Scouse rats within two years. Him and Tront and those twats are made for each other.

Seeing that Arnold was caught on camera talking to his brother saying “ yeah he refused to take one” and folk are using this to have a go at Phil assuming he refused to take a penalty. Fucking cunts. Bellingham will end up at Scouse rats within two years. Him and Tront and those twats are made for each other.
Some article I read suggested they were talking about Akanji. Didn't want to take a penalty and subsequently missed.

Just grabbed this from the match replay. This was around the 3:45 mark. When I saw this I got genuinely excited because not only does Rice play two great risky forward passes into Foden, taking out the Swiss midfield, I thought for a second that maybe everyone else had twigged how we should be using him in the build up. He drifts into space, constantly looking around, takes it on the turn and plays it out to Saka quickly. Mainoo's pass is a touch behind him but they recover and Rice immediately plays it straight back, forward, into feet. Ultimately the move comes to nothing but the intent and the movment were all there. I'm not sure we did this a single time again in the entire match.

These players can do this, and Foden can and should be that lynchpin for the whole attack. He can score beautiful goals from the edge of the box but his real strength for England should be doing this. Drifting into tight spaces and progressing the ball, setting up chances for Saka, Kane (IMO ideally a more mobile striker that can occupy the defense and give him a bit more space to work), and Bellingham can still drift into the box to try and do his hero thing.

Unfortunately given the briefness of that segment above I don't think this will really click this tournament, and if we don't win the narrative will clearly be strongly anti-Foden, but he could and should be the key.

Yes I saw this, each time Foden was open for a return pass, it never came, with the last move he was in space, but Saka chose a wild cross. He’s wasted in this team.

The first thing I noticed there, was that Foden was conducting the play as well. Even when not wanting the ball, he was telling the player who'd just received it, where the next pass was and it was working... Right up to were 'star boy' Saka hoofed it out of play, just as Foden was calling for the ball to feet.

I've nothing against Saka, he probably has been the most in form attacker this tournament but that isn't really saying much. He's had good moments at best overall and some games he has been just as poor as every other attacker. Foden was England's best attacker vs Denmark according to most press match ratings(Telegraph, Mail, Times) and the major stat site player ratings too(Whoscored, Sofascore etc) but no City fans got carried away with that. It's bad enough reading the nonsense from Arsenal fans(they don't even play the same position) throughout the season and now the toxicity has been brought over to the England camp. I suppose that would have happened with or without Arsenal fans but they have been feeding into it. I wont even go too far into the race-baiting I've seen Saka cheerleaders try and pull(all last season I saw examples of it and again in the past few weeks) but I can't be the only one who's seen it. I just find it sad and hypocritical that they want to 'other' certain players and make everything about race, when it clearly isn't.

Last edited:

Great analysis that. And i agree,every word.

Ya know one thing that makes me laugh...If Phil weren't on the pitch that side wouldn't be able to string together more than 3 passes. Go back and watch them play and then someone tell me I'm wrong...
Agreed. I've watched Phil from dead balls set Kane up no less than 4 times for a header/ shot on goal with a pinpoint delivery ..
he's also hit the post, scored but offside and worked diligently throughout this tournament. I'd hate to see that England side try and play a passing game without Foden. It would be carnage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.