47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep clearly thinks he's still got bits to work on in order to put stake his claim for a role in the middle, such as his awareness and defensive contribution but has also again stated that Phil can play across the five forward positions, mentioning he can possibly play in the middle more often now that Gundo has gone.

I do hope he carries on working on those flaws because I feel like we won't see the best out of him until he's playing there. Found it interesting how he seemed to either be subbed on or start in place of Kev towards the end of the season.

We went up about 4 levels after he replaced grealish. His constant desire to go forward with the ball rather than playing it safe makes a huge difference and as one of only 2 players in the squad along with kdb that are willing to do that regularly we need that from him. Had to score mind, I feel like his right foot is getting worse, could swear when he first broke through he was a lot more comfortable on either foot. Big season ahead for phil.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Alvarez, Phil needs to be playing behind Haaland. He's at his best receiving the ball on the half-turn and attacking through the middle. I'd be shocked if he's not starting Friday.

We went up about 4 levels after he replaced grealish. His constant desire to go forward with the ball rather than playing it safe makes a huge difference and as one of only 2 players in the squad along with kdb that are willing to do that refularly we need that from him. Had to score mind, I feel like his right foot is getting worse, could swear when he forst broke through he was a lot more comfortable on either foot. Big season ahead for phil.
I think it was less about the individuals and more the change in formation. Playing 4-4-2 just to fit Alvarez and Haaland into the same side might work against weaker sides, but today was a struggle. Seemed like Walker and Akanji were bigger threats than Bernardo and Grealish.

That turn from Phil, though? That's why he has to play.

I think it was less about the individuals and more the change in formation. Playing 4-4-2 just to fit Alvarez and Haaland into the same side might work against weaker sides, but today was a struggle. Seemed like Walker and Akanji were bigger threats than Bernardo and Grealish.

That turn from Phil, though? That's why he has to play.
Not sure id agree with that, phil took it upon himself to be forward thinking when he got the ball, that turn which allowed us to get at them and eventually score was all him. Grealish had numerous similar passes first half, and he either was second to it or played it backwards as did alvarez. Either way, we can both agree we need to see phil on the pitch as much as possible.

Why not tweak our 3-2-2-3 formation into a 3-4-3 diamond? Kovacic can play deeper where he’s best at and less of a responsibility to make runs into the box/final 3rd plays and it gives KDB/Foden free roles to fully express themselves at the top of the diamond and less defensive responsibility. Also helps Phil slowly acclimatise into the central role as he learns and can eventually transition into more deeper central areas with more responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.