47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looked at his xG stats, but he still should be scoring those chances.
No player scored every chance they get.

That one was classed as a 'big chance', and had an xG suggesting it would be scored around 1 in 3 times (probably because he was so close to the goal and directly in line with the keeper, the difficulty is heading it beyond the keepers reach without much distance to do it in).

Erling has missed 12 big chances already this season in just the six PL and CL games. He was by some distance the player who missed most big chances in the Premier League last season too!

Phil's performance against his xG suggests he scores more than expected, but he's still going to miss a lot, as that's football :)

No player scored every chance they get.

That one was classed as a 'big chance', and had an xG suggesting it would be scored around 1 in 3 times (probably because he was so close to the goal and directly in line with the keeper, the difficulty is heading it beyond the keepers reach without much distance to do it in).

Erling has missed 12 big chances already this season in just the six PL and CL games. He was by some distance the player who missed most big chances in the Premier League last season too!

Phil's performance against his xG suggests he scores more than expected, but he's still going to miss a lot, as that's football :)
To add to this from Opta Analyst:
His numbers are impressive wherever he plays, though. Since his Premier League debut in December 2017, 207 players have got more minutes on the pitch than him (7,128), but he ranks 31st for combined goals and assists (56). Only 10 players with a minimum of 5,000 minutes played have directly contributed to a goal more often than him (every 127 minutes). Remember this includes the period when Foden had only just broken through at City; every other player above him in the list is far more experienced – including players like Agüero, Kevin De Bruyne, Mohamed Salah, and Harry Kane.

He has also scored his 35 Premier League goals from just 26.3 xG, with only eight players boasting a better overperformance in front of goal than his 8.7, showing just how good his finishing is. It is hard not to wonder what damage he could cause if he spent less time such a long way away from the goal.

Last edited:
He trusted his defence tracked back as far as he should have tracked back, like you I see no fault.
This is mad. Why did said defence all turn around to Foden to tell him he was wrong?

I'm all for defending the lad and I think he's brilliant but that doesn't mean I can't understand the off the ball deficiences that both Pep and Southgate mention.

There is a balance to everything and not everybody has to give him only praise.

And what exactly is Foden's fault here?
To be fair to the other poster, you would expect him to continue his run. The Red Star player managed to get a shot away, and he would have struggled if Foden could have put more pressure on him.

However, he was almost certainly still suffering from pain. Rewinding a couple of minutes, suggest he was hurt, and hopping around/limping for some time after. He was clearly still moving a little gingerly when he started this run, and it looks to me like he starts struggling to keep up, and at one point grimaces in pain, before eventually letting the opponent run away from him when he's closer to the defenders.

This is mad. Why did said defence all turn around to Foden to tell him he was wrong?

I'm all for defending the lad and I think he's brilliant but that doesn't mean I can't understand the off the ball deficiences that both Pep and Southgate mention.

There is a balance to everything and not everybody has to give him only praise.

To be fair he did look like he was grimacing/ slightly injured when running back.

He trusted his defence tracked back as far as he should have tracked back, like you I see no fault.
Exactly! Only other other option was a professional foul and a yellow card. The very fact he tracked him back good 40 yards is a proof he did the best in a given situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.