80 | Cole Palmer - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how well is Palmer actually thought of at the club? He's looked good so far and scored a couple but then so did Brahim Diaz...

There was a huge buzz around Foden when he came through but Palmer's not quite so well thought of, so what are we realistically thinking? Future star? Squad player? Another club lower down in the league?
Fuck off

So, how well is Palmer actually thought of at the club? He's looked good so far and scored a couple but then so did Brahim Diaz...

There was a huge buzz around Foden when he came through but Palmer's not quite so well thought of, so what are we realistically thinking? Future star? Squad player? Another club lower down in the league?
He has been developing into the role quite well so far. Still has some parts of his game that will be refined the more he plays.

Palmer is a good finisher, but McAtee to me is a hint of a young Aguero when he's in the box. It's more difficult to get McAtee in the first team I guess because of who we already have in midfield. But Palmer would get more opportunity now because he looks more of a striker and would do well when closing down games with a single striker.

Foden to be honest is not a surprise. Put a 16 year old Phil Foden in the City team, he would still fit in the team like he is now. Foden is just a complete player who knew what kind of football he wants to play from quite a young age. Foden, Nmecha, Sancho and Diaz, Foden was the most complete out of the four, and the youngest I think for that team.

I hope McAtee and Palmer, Doyle and Delap stay with the club for 2 more years before wanting to think about moving like Diaz and Sancho.

We have the best crop of young players we've ever had. In terms of being a complete footballer that would be able to transition and do that workload required of a Pep team I would put Foden as the most complete, followed by McAtee, and then Palmer, Delap and Doyle, and then Sodje.

Palmer's goal last night was somewhat typical of many of his finishes at EDS level. He does seem very good at shooting from distance which is not something that our first teamers are consistently good at. I realise that it is easier when leading and the opposition box is not so packed as it typically is when we play defensively minded teams but his ability to take accurate shots from distance could be a big bonus for our attacking play.

His names rhyme quite well too - more song potential than many others!

This is what Pep had to say about him after the match.

Cole has a special quality in front of the box, a talent that is difficult to find,” said Guardiola.

“When he has the ball there, most of the time it ends up in the net. It’s difficult to find that.

“I know how it works with young players. We have to be calm and patient. His position is the second team but at the same time he trains with us and works with our principles.

“I am happy with the goal. He could have done a few actions a little bit better, but that is normal. It is experience. Step by step we give our young players an opportunity.”

The City boss was asked if Palmer could follow in the footsteps of Phil Foden to eb a first team regular and possibly represent his country.

“Phil is Phil,” he responded. “Cole is Cole. Phil is already a reality otherwise he would not be with the national team.

“How many minutes has he played. Phil is Phil. Cole is a teenager. He is a young player and still has a lot of margin to improve and is still a way from Phil. We cannot compare.

“I say look at the minutes on the training pitch. Cole is always there in training.

“He played a few minutes at Burnley and then went and scored three goals for the second team. Some players would go and be lazy and not want to play.

“He is completely the opposite. He goes and scores three goals. The people in this world want things immediately. Everything needs time. You cannot cook a good dish if you don’t spend time in the kitchen.

“The important thing is time. Not just him, Liam Delap, James McAtee, Sam Edozie, Romeo Lavia, Josh.

“We have four or five really talented players in the Academy. If they stay humble and work, maybe they can be important players for City in the future.
And the boss also revealed the thinking behind Palmer’s double appearance as sub for the senior side and then for the EDS not long after.

“I asked Rodo if he could go and play after he got two minutes with us,” said Pep.

“If he gets less than 25 minutes, he can play in both so he went and played with the second team.

“It is nice to train for us but the best way to improve is to play. When he is with us all the time, training and travelling, he cannot play and it is not good for his development.”

I particularly enjoyed the kitchen analogy.

nice try.

he looks super talented, has a good build. still a bit raw of course. you could see that he is not that comfortable on the ball yet like others but that could change pretty fast if he is given more minutes. probably pace difference to what he is normaly used to and experience. critique is also harsh on a young lad like him but the standards of our team are very high.

They both fucked off chasing money and cartoon careers sold to them by their snake oil salesman agents. Both were sat at home tonight watching Phil and Cole pissing it while they hope to get off the bench next time out for their strictly second rate teams

Both made the right choice at the time. Pep's attitude to youth players has evolved since but Sancho left in 2017, only a year after Pep arrived. Back then chances for youth players were basically impossible to come by, Foden only made his first league start almost two years later. I think Brahim saw enough in his limited minutes to understand that he wasn't good enough for us yet and that he needed to go somewhere where gametime was easier to come across so he could improve. Not sure either deserve the vitriol you're giving them and I don't think either decision had anything to do with money either.

Can't fucking wait to see 3, maybe 4 academy graduates starting for us. The media, I'm sure, will be wanking all over it.......

It would be lovely to see a few of Palmer, Delap, Lavia, McAtee, Wilson-Esbrand get league winners medals, even if it's just for 5 small sub appearances like Foden's 17/18 one. It would be a real boost for everyone at the academy and something tangible for these kids to hang on to over the next couple of years as they fight for a place in the squad.

Cole can say he scored more goals away at Brugge than Messi, Neymar and Mbappe put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.