82 | Rico Lewis - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far too early in his career to say which way it will go.

Pep rarely promotes 18 year old kids,so he must recognise something very special.

He has done incredibly well in the minutes he has been give,of course he is still very raw......but once composure and confidence are nailed,he will further shine.

He’s way too panicky to be a defender. If the ball comes near him in our box he just wildly swings at it and often misses the ball completely. Things like that make me think he just isn’t going to be a defender at all. Midfielder all day long. When we’re in possession he’s fantastic.
I think playing in the left rather than the right has a little to do with that. His body alignment just seemed off.

Yes, he has the skill and technique to be a Midfielder, But I won't right him off so quickly as a defender in a Pep/De Zerbi/Arteta type team.

I'll chuck this up as an off day playing in an unfamiliar position.

He’s way too panicky to be a defender. If the ball comes near him in our box he just wildly swings at it and often misses the ball completely. Things like that make me think he just isn’t going to be a defender at all. Midfielder all day long. When we’re in possession he’s fantastic.

To be fair he was playing out of position. He’s also a teenager so I’d expect him to make mistakes at times

Overall he’s been fantastic

He’s great on the ball but he’s never a full back. I thought the two halves tonight showed where he is at.

The 1st half when Brighton were better, he was all over the show defensively.

The 2nd half where we were more comfortable in possession, he was great.

He might end up being a utility player that doesn’t really own a position.
He’s 18. He’s proved more than often that he can defend.

22 appearances now in his debut season. Had Phil played this much at the same age? Certainly not in any position with such responsibility.

I feel like he's one of those players who many people will take a while to understand.

People saying he can't play here and he can't play there but I think he'll have the ability to play any position outfield. Just need to wait for the nerves to dissipate and for him to truly feel like he belongs in the side. Not to mention, he's not even a fully grown man yet.

It's one of the easiest things as a spectator to look at academy players in first team games and poke holes in their performances. It's also easy to spot the zippy winger who bags a brace every weekend or the 6'3" centre back bullying the other kids in the academy side.

But I think it's a lot harder to look past the blatant and expected shortcomings and pinpoint just why Pep loves him so much.

I'm saying this like the fans don't love him and chant his name every game. Just a bit of a pattern I've noticed on here.

What a prospect. He is so intelligent in his movement that he is constantly in a position to receive the pass. His first touch is generally excellent, he can beat and opponent and play quick passes that open up the opponents and create space. He can be a little panicky when not in possession of the ball in defensive areas, and can seek to clear it too quickly, but he will learn. At 18, he is a prospect of the highest calibre and a potential long-term City star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.