82 | Rico Lewis - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t think he played that well to be honest. Maybe one game too many. It was very telling that rather than just make a like for like change, pep would rather move 3 defenders to accommodate Ake. I’ve a feeling Walker and Cancelo are very much on the naughty step at the moment.
Interesting to see certain players being left out, isn't it!

Going into the 2nd half, we had 4 centre backs on the pitch and no full backs. Foden sat in the stand not looking particularly happy, after not getting a kick against Spurs.

Also thought Kev looked a bit jaded today, he didn't even raise a smile after setting up Haalands first goal.

Definitely something going on, and it seems like Pep is laying down the law, which I'm more than happy with.

I didn’t think he played that well to be honest. Maybe one game too many. It was very telling that rather than just make a like for like change, pep would rather move 3 defenders to accommodate Ake. I’ve a feeling Walker and Cancelo are very much on the naughty step at the moment.
Young players are very inconsistent. When I saw his name on the team sheet I was sceptical about how good he’d be today because 18 year olds are rarely excellent two games in a row.

He’s also been blowing in the second halves of games because 18 year olds don’t have that elite stamina yet neither so I can see why Pep chose Lewis to come off at half time.

Still a fantastic start to his City career and really enjoying watching him.

I thought Traore had the better of Laporte, not sure he won one header so was not surprised to see the change at HT.

Maybe Rico took the bullet being the younger one and as such less hassle to sub.

Get the feeling Pep has enough issues without adding Laporte.

Great player, he has lot to learn, but seems to have the desire and skills to go really high. he has no experience yet, but he is learning from the best ones in training, I just hope he stays hungry and the hype doesnt get to him next 2-3 years.
he has speed, really would like to him out wide in an attacking RB role too.

Why is he (nearly) always targeted by the opposition?

The Wolves players really had it in for him.

I thought he was our best player in the first half, but why was he replaced at the break? Maybe to avoid him receiving more abuse?

The lad is a star in the making. I’m already a big fan of him.

I said to Mrs Vienna that Rico should be in the next England squad. After all, he’s keeping England's best right-back out of the City side, so it’s a no-brainer.

Rico excels at keeping tempo - he's a great midfield player who - by his presence - means that we outnumber the opposition in mid.

Rico too seems very good on defense - putting in tackles and getting back into defensive position.

Rico does not, however, have a consistent killer pass at all in his locker. His forward passing and crosses are average.
Still - I like Rico at right back mostly - he's fast, provides good defense and is able to help us with ball control - but he's not top, top class. At this point, I think that Rico is a valuable squad player, possibly a regular starter as we can't have world class at every position.

To put it into perspective... is Rico a lock for the England squad in the upcoming Euros? - I doubt it very much.

Rico is a very good squad player - if he wants more - then let him go and Godspeed.

Last edited:
We have an absolute diamond on our hands. Imagine how much he would be worth if he played for Dortmund. To think he still has so much to learn. He'll lack consistency and experience so will have off days and probably make a mistake or two, I thought he was fortunate against Wolves when last man, but he has the balls to keep asking for the ball. Very bright future.

We have an absolute diamond on our hands. Imagine how much he would be worth if he played for Dortmund. To think he still has so much to learn. He'll lack consistency and experience so will have off days and probably make a mistake or two, I thought he was fortunate against Wolves when last man, but he has the balls to keep asking for the ball. Very bright future.
Lewis is very good - but a diamond - perhaps in time, but now, I doubt it.

Lewis is awesome as a tempo player - in mid. He has pace is is very good on defense.

But he lacks that killer pass. And at times he's caught on the ball.

I initially loved Lewis - but after seeing him in several games - I think his ultimate destiny is an average P/L player. I hope I'm wrong - maybe he'll become stronger at ball retention (likely I think) - and may develop a killer pass (I think that this is extremely unlikely - either you have this in your skillset from the get-go or you don't - and Lewis doesn't have this ability).

The main downside to Lewis is that he lacks a telling pass - and I doubt that he'll develop this talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.