9/11 where were you?

Was in one of our other offices, when a pal got a call from his wife. I was the boss do we called it a day and went to our local bowling club and watched it. Truly surreal and knew it was all going to kick off. Went into Afghanistan and being a student of history, knew that if we stayed it would be an no win situation. Similarly in Iraq. 20 years of wars that required occupation and that never ends well. I always felt those leading then just never have read history because if they did they would never have thought occupation was ever going to work.

In my office at the UK arm of a US firm, was with a couple of colleagues working on a bid when another colleague came in and said something to the effect 'you need to come upstairs America is under attack'. We went up to the conference room to watch on a large TV as it dawned on us a significant number of our company's execs were currently in the air over the eastern seaboard on their way to a meeting. We also knew we had a number of colleagues working for customers in both towers. As events unfolded and with no clear info we just sat there barely able to comprehend what we were watching. Eventually accounted for all our execs but sadly we lost three colleagues in the North Tower.

i was working at St Thomas' Hospital opposite the houses of parliament
I was involved in research so not essential staff and we got sent home.
There were police in the carpark encouraging people to, and i quote "fuck off home as quickly as you can"

I was fully prepped just waiting for the sedation injection for a colonoscopy at Rossendale General Hospital (The old one). All the staff and doctors left me in the room and came back after about 20 minutes. Later my missus said they were all in the day room watching it all unfold on the TV, I never saw any of it until I got home the next day. YCMIU

I think I’ve previously posted my own experience: working from n the office of a client in Manchester, coding away, oblivious to anything… till it dawned on me that it had all gone very quiet… I turned around, and all the office was staring at 1 screen watching the internet (that was seriously stressed with everyone else watching)… I think bbc/cnn all went with severely reduced websites, just to allow the some info to be picked up, and reduce bandwidth overload.

A far worse experience I’ve not said before, but…
My cousin went to uni, met some twins and got on really well.I met them whilst visiting my cousin. Both were highly intelligent, and proceeded up the tree of investment banking.
Twin 1, worked in WTC south tower (iirc), twin 2 worked for Cantor Fitzgerald in north tower.
Now I’m unsure of my memory of this, but I’m sure my cousin (in a drunken sad haze many years later), said twin 1 was on phone to twin 2 when the 1st plane hit…
No Cantor employee who went to work that day survived.

Smeg. Gets me everytime.

I was working with my boss at the time doing an extension, it came on the radio the a plane had hit the World Trade Center and I wasn’t actually sure what the World Trade Center was back then, I remember saying “ is that one of the 2 really high ones in the skyline ? “
We just thought a light aircraft had hit it.
Then more information was coming through about passenger plane and it announced a second plane had now flown into the other tower. That’s when we knew something really big was going on

We needed some materials so I went to the builders yard in the van and driving there they said on the radio a third plane had been hijacked and was heading for the White House
I think I was just in a bit of shock at what was happening but I do remember after hearing about the plane heading to the white house I thought world war 3 was happening

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.