9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is Aguero had more technical ability in three of his left toes than Haaland currently has altogether.

He has great technical abilities imo, otherwise he would not control the ball in 36 km/h and hit the ball perfectly to score a goal so often. He just does not do anything for the estethics of it, but uses his head. He has a good link-up game in my opinion, and it is improving. If you involve him and pass to him more, you will see it more often too. He does vary in performance though, he is not perfect. Nobody is.

If you buy a player like Haaland, you need to make the through passes.

As brilliant as this lad is he’s got to learn to actually shift his arse and play football, not just stand about in the box waiting for the ball like a moody ****.

Aguero learnt this. Am sure Haaland will as well.

I have no newer stats but.. if anyone has stats that are newer it would be interesting to see!

I would be more worried about the team play and bad form, and not Haalands individual skills and efforts.

Some people in here will look silly very soon, as Haalands hunger for goals is growing exponentially with the absence of goals ;)

Last edited:
System doesn’t suit Haaland and the system has needed refreshing for a while now.

We have possibly the most lethal striker on the planet right now and are playing slow, boring and sideways.

Only City could sign the best number 9 on the planet and start making him look like a league 1 player! Lol

The bottom line is Haaland needs to adapt to our needs rather than us adapt to him. If he doesn't score and we don't win what have we got?

A deluxe player that's largely ineffective. He needs to link up with midfield better instead of being a goal hanger target man. Guardiola made Aguero work harder,(and it worked) time to get Erling working harder to drop back and put a shift in instead of being up top and most often marked out of the game

We aren’t creating chances.
That I fear is down as much to the system or we aren’t moving the ball fast enough. How can you get a striker to adapt to not receiving the ball.
Serious question.

That I fear is down as much to the system or we aren’t moving the ball fast enough. How can you get a striker to adapt to not receiving the ball.
Serious question.
Correct
Alvarez was anonymous against Southampton
No one other than de bruyne is either willing, able or allowed to play the ball early enough to feed the forwards

No point him being in this current team as we don't look to find him with the early ball,instead preferring to make 10 passes when 1 would have been far more effective.

Yesterday he was making the runs,the ball was there to be played,yet he was ignored and we chose to pass sideways......it made no sense whatsoever.

You’re right, as soon as one of the midfielders get it and Haaland makes his run, it should be pinged to him. If it doesn’t work then fine, fight for the loose ball (remember Gundo’s third vs Villa?).

Pep is picking a midfield that nullifies his runs in behind.

KDB? Fine. But our game plan is to find KDB in space before giving it to him which means Bernie and Rodri have the ball far more often - neither of which have a pass in behind in their locker. Not consistently enough anyway.

Gundo should be playing. Experience, tempo, passing, arrival into the box and a fantastic player and attitude to boot as well. Teams would quickly realise that he’s lethal on the ball too and would suddenly need to put extra bodies on him and not solely KDB.

Serious question.

Serious response... You can’t. Haaland isn't going to change a proven way of playing.

Indeed, in his boots, I would be very unhappy with a lack of supply / tactics that had a negative impact on performance.

Pep is under-utilising his most powerful weapon and is so entrenched in his own methods that he appears not to even notice.

Haaland can’t possibly be happy with our style of play at the moment. I'd go as far as to say that at some point yesterday, he probably wished he'd gone straight to Real.

If I learned anything more about him yesterday, it's that Pep doesn't actually know how to use a striker.

Media trying to drive negative narratives on Haaland that he has 'made us worse', or 'he doesn't press' etc. All nonsense.

You can see he's trying, when he's not getting the ball, he's trying to drop deeper to link up. Not his fault the team prefers doing 10 extra sideway passes, or rather turn and take an extra pointless touch/dribble.

We aren't moving the ball the fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.