9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early in the season when confidence was low we played Chelsea and Liverpool away, Pep played his strongest line ups, while we did not get the results we deserved we battered them both, Jesus and Grealish played both these games, and since it was the same starting 11 all were great, the only player good enough to break that line up could be Stones.

I’d imagine if they’re scoring against Real Madrid in a CL semi final, they’re quite good..

Not sure why you’re so desperate to discredit him.

He’s turning up in the big games, when other more expensive and better paid players are not..
I don't (can't) disagree with your final sentence mate!

I just don’t think he's anywhere near as good as many of the posters on here seem to.

We can do better than Jesus, and he would do better in Spain or Italy. I've always thought that.

Just my opinion at the end of the day.

No narrative involved. His record is good but he's not as good as it should be. He's simply not top level imo.

If you think there's any another reason behind my thinking, that's your problem, not mine.
I have no problem, as you said it's your opinion, whatever reality it's based on.

Not a performance question, but why does Jesus do that stupid thumb sucking celebration?

The low table team likes to play deep blocks with very traditional big tall CBs. And Jesus's height does him no favour in these kind of occasions. He often gets lost in the forests. Although he is able to still contribute a lot with his great effort and energy - but maybe not directly involved in G/A that much. Liverpool plays a much higher offsite line. Real/PSG defenders are more light weighted and technical defenders who has not so much physical advantage against Jesus.

Chelsea played very low block against us. But the goal came from a 2nd shoot from corner kick - thus low block or not it does not matter. Before that chance actually some of the fans on the thread suggesting subbing Jesus off because he seemed to be least lively one among the front 3.

Many of our player suffer from playing against very low block. Some adjust after one or two seasons but some never adjust that well and choose to leave (like Torres). Even though I wish to keep Jesus, I believe Jesus will have a more eye-catching performance if he joins Arsenal with some more space in behind.
Firstly there's not this big problem with Jesus scoring against certain teams. He scores against anybody, he happens to be very adept at scoring in the big games, that doesn't mean he's underperforming against lesser sides. This last month alone, he's scored against Liverpool, scored 4 against Watford, scored against Real Madrid and scored against Leeds. You could not pick a more diverse quality of opponents 2 of the absolute best teams around we could play and 2 of the worst, he's scored against them all. If he fails to net in the next few league games are we going to start saying he doesn't score enough against teams in the 7th-10th range?

You're clutching big time on this physical defenders bullying him line. Jesus is a fighter and is actually quite proficient in the air, gets up well, has good movement and decent enough timing we just don't put many balls in like that.

Whoever plays as a 9 or false 9 for us against teams that camp on the edge of the box is always going to have their impact on the game lessened. prime aguero wasn't involved in build up half the time, of all the false 9s we've had this season there's maybe a handful of instances where they haven't been completely anonymous for most of the game regardless of who it is. their job most of the time is to be the sacrificial lamb, occupy players in the middle to create space out wide and be where It matters when the space is found. Bit of a tangent but I actually suspect this is the reason why Jesus wants to play wide, it's not that he doesn't want to be a striker its that he wants to be on the ball more and be involved.

I don't really care if jesus may perhaps be better suited to a different team, that's not a reason to want somebody gone, I only care about city, he's a huge asset for City, he's constantly proven it in all the biggest of games and we will badly miss him if he's not here next season.

Same as most games works hard but he’s not going to get us to the next level or win us a champs league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.