9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we'd seen him without the injuries, almost as much as I wish we'd have seen Pep come in 2013 like we planned and the Mancini side got to play under him when they were in their peak years.
Kompany, Yaya, Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Tevez all at their peak under Pep is a frightening thought.

I have a sneaky feeling that Gabby will play alone up top on Sunday, have a stormer, and everyone will suddenly ask the question “what if we just stuck with him as our main option and got a quality back up in?”

The last home game of last season, he was fantastic. Think that was forgotten in the wake of that Champions League loss, but I don’t think that result had anything to do with our lack of a striker

Still keen on Kane, mind

I have a sneaky feeling that Gabby will play alone up top on Sunday, have a stormer, and everyone will suddenly ask the question “what if we just stuck with him as our main option and got a quality back up in?”

The last home game of last season, he was fantastic. Think that was forgotten in the wake of that Champions League loss, but I don’t think that result had anything to do with our lack of a striker

Still keen on Kane, mind
I think Gabby is a lot better than he showed last season. I would be ok having him as the main striker if we had a decent backup option and I do not think that Torres has shown enough to fill that role and Delap is too young and hot-headed. I know that we can play a false nine system but I'm not sure that consistently offers enough threat.

Just no. Keeping him as the main striker this season is no option. But that won't matter anyway since Kane is (hopefully) coming. Gabriel is training all week without a number on his tracksuits. While all other first team players did have one on theirs.

Last edited:
Aguero as number 16 : 107 goals in 164 games (0.65)

Aguero as number 10 : 153 in 226 games (0.67)

His numbers are almost identical (and much better as 10 if you take out last season) but I think we saw the best of him in number 16, he was never the same physically after 2014 when he had so many hamstring and leg injuries.

I wish we'd seen him without the injuries, almost as much as I wish we'd have seen Pep come in 2013 like we planned and the Mancini side got to play under him when they were in their peak years.

Aguero was not a good trainer

Whether that was the reason he suffered so many injuries is impossible to say.

Aguero was not a good trainer

Whether that was the reason he suffered so many injuries is impossible to say.

It’s probably the exact opposite.

I wouldn't rely on Micah Richards hyperbolic statements about Aguero being the worst trainer in history.

More likely that it is down to his stocky build, playing regular top level football from a very young age, style of play and other physical attributes.

He didn't have the craft to play at walking pace and ghost into space like players like Berbatov or Sheringham, not big enough to play target man. Before taking into account modern limitations on playing that style anyway.

Players that (somewhat) rely on pace or natural game is based on it can struggle with increased risk of muscle injury. Michael Owen and Pato too good examples.

It grates me a bit when I read people say we didn't have a striker last season. Like ok there's always going to be plenty of people who don't rate him, but people act like he didn't exist.

And Jesus suffers from the armchair analysis of because he wasn't first choice in the final stretch of the season he mustn't be any good and Pep doesn't think much of him either.

On the plus side for him, Rodri has taken his crown of most unfairly maligned City player by City fans, so maybe he'll have a bit less pressure on him this season from blues.

It’s probably the exact opposite.

I wouldn't rely on Micah Richards hyperbolic statements about Aguero being the worst trainer in history.

More likely that it is down to his stocky build, playing regular top level football from a very young age, style of play and other physical attributes.

He didn't have the craft to play at walking pace and ghost into space like players like Berbatov or Sheringham, not big enough to play target man. Before taking into account modern limitations on playing that style anyway.

Players that (somewhat) rely on pace or natural game is based on it can struggle with increased risk of muscle injury. Michael Owen and Pato too good examples.

I would never rely on anything Micah Richards says. In fact I never listen to anything he says. I never mentioned Richards.
I know Sergio was not the greatest of trainers. Whether that was the issue with his injuries , as I said it is impossible to say.

I would never rely on anything Micah Richards says. In fact I never listen to anything he says. I never mentioned Richards.
I know Sergio was not the greatest of trainers. Whether that was the issue with his injuries , as I said it is impossible to say.

Could interpret the poor trainer thing another way though, he was managing his body and fatigue level to enable him to put in the high intensity sprints and top performances in competitive games. Fatigue and lack of recovery time is one of the top causes of muscle injuries.

Carlos Tevez was also accused of being a poor trainer, but gave everything in competition.

Top sprinters don't run full pelt during heats when they can run at lower level and still qualify. Doesn't make sense to increase fatigue or risk of injury in less important situations.

We aren't talking about a player that has struggled with being overweight or poor conditioning. Much more likely that injuries were due to fatigue.

Last edited:
It wasn't just Richards as Lampard has said something similar.

Anyway on topic will be interesting to see if Pep plays him up top tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.