A level results

When the teacher-predicted grades were provided, they recommended that five of the psychology students (my daughter was one) would easily attain a grade A if they had an exam.
They were then notified by Ofqual that this wouldn't be acceptable and there would only be one allowed a grade A mark and also one of the class HAD to be given a grade U.
That is straight from my daughters psychology teacher who is also the vice principal at the Academy.

That is just appalling. I haven’t been following the methodology adopted by Ofqual too closely but would assume that they have adopted a rigidly deterministic framework based on the performance of previous cohorts in the subject at your daughter’s school and the overall attainment of pupils there in public examinations in the past.
If so, this is daft as it is well-known that no two sets (and sometimes year groups) are alike.
I already had a low opinion of Ofqual before I read your post. If my assumptions are correct, I am left thinking that (like Ofsted), they are no longer fit for purpose.

When the teacher-predicted grades were provided, they recommended that five of the psychology students (my daughter was one) would easily attain a grade A if they had an exam.
They were then notified by Ofqual that this wouldn't be acceptable and there would only be one allowed a grade A mark and also one of the class HAD to be given a grade U.
That is straight from my daughters psychology teacher who is also the vice principal at the Academy.

She is appealing her results but I'm currently not holding out much hope. The idiots at Ofqual don't even know how they are going to handle the appeals process yet.
So it's looking like she'll be resitting in October.
Sounds like they are allocating grades per the projected grades for the whole school and not the individual students,it stinks,the gov have had months to plan for this

While the government's algorithm clearly looks like a discriminatory piece of shit, it wouldn't have been an issue had teachers graded sensibly. Predicting over a 12% grade inflation year-on-year is ridiculous. I don't doubt that many teachers feel they did their bit (I am friends with many who are furious), but it seems that some let the side down.

While the government's algorithm clearly looks like a discriminatory piece of shit, it wouldn't have been an issue had teachers graded sensibly. Predicting over a 12% grade inflation year-on-year is ridiculous. I don't doubt that many teachers feel they did their bit (I am friends with many who are furious), but it seems that some let the side down.

No childs future should be graded on a bloody algorithm, they should be given the chance to choose their future through merit.

Talking of universities. The university of life must be popular judging from the amount of people on Facebook who say they studied there - the unoriginal, unfunny fuckers.
Sorry for going off topic, just needed to get that off my chest :-)

Yeah, it’s tedious, also I did go to the University of Life and it was shit :)

I think I read somewhere that France decided to go for teacher assessed end-of-school grades, and created 10,000 extra uni places, so kids of this generation don’t miss out.

Why couldn’t we do the same? Anyone know?

No childs future should be graded on a bloody algorithm, they should be given the chance to choose their future through merit.

I agree with that too. Any resit (not sure why they're being called resits when no exams have been sat) fees should be waived next year.

I understand the necessity of having an algorithm to bring grading in line though. They will be used every year on actually marked papers.

I'm not here to defend Ofqual - the awards that have been made at A Level are a shambles.

However, the school stating that they submitted grades and then were contacted by Ofqual to be told that they must apply one of this grade and one of that grade doesn't sound particularly viable to me. The whole point of the process that they have undertaken is that schools submit what they think should be awarded and then Ofqual themselves change them to fit with what they (but not many other people) consider to be a fair model.

To the best of my knowledge, schools will have had no indication (outside of reports in the press that nationally grades were going to drop significantly from those submitted) of how their individual grades had been affected, prior to receiving them on Wednesday.

I would imagine that there would be total uproar if there was genuine evidence that Ofqual have told a school, prior to the standardisation process, that they must go back and change the grades they originally submitted to grades that Ofqual recommend - which then could still be altered further by standardisation.

Not that it makes any difference to the nasty circumstances that you find yourself and your family in - obviously the grade awarded is the grade awarded - but the explanation given sound dubious or at least confused.

Many of those kids have been failed here. The fact that grades awarded have risen on previous years, or even would have risen significantly if left unaltered is not the issue. The issue is that these kids haven't had the chance to prove themselves in exams and therefore should have been given every opportunity to get into their uni of choice and prove themselves there instead. Any results are going to be false anyway so it doesn't matter whether - for one year - they were normal, inflated or whatever.

Don’t knock yourself fella. One of the best Safety Engineers I have ever worked with had a history degree. His dissertation was on medieval witchcraft of all things.
No background in physics or engineering but had a fantastic skill for organising and presenting complex information in a clear and structured format, something that most engineers are useless at. He now works for the ONR (Office for Nuclear Regulation) as an assessor.

Sounds like a right raver.

Some details on how France graded its Covid affected students.

‘Taking the average of 1st and 2nd term marks, always rounding "up" and creating 10,000 extra university places. No negative algorithms.’

I haven't read the whole thread but from what I'm gathering, most if not all your universities have restricted access. That's crazy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.