Aguero injury - Silver lining for Jesus ?

The impossible position of arguing that Sergio Aguero - our record goalscorer and the Premier League's greatest ever goalscorer on a goals per minute played basis - is going to be a loss to us?

It's the easiest argument I've ever made mate.

I've already agreed that he's not been in the best form the past month with another poster but he's still outscored Jesus by about 5 goals to 1.

His injury helps no-one and Pep's reaction says it all.
Aguero outscores Jesus because he has the shirt. Give Jesus the shirt and an extended run and he might show the same form that he showed when he first came to City. Think back to that time, and many thought Aguero's days were numbered because Jesus was so good.

Jesus is a world class striker. He needs games. Put the two together, and it may just click.

Don't be arguing the obvious point that Aguero's record is better than Jesus's record. That's a flawed argument. See Yaya Toure. Now I'm not saying that Aguero is past it, but I am saying that Jesus is a top player whose ability is not fully recognised in the Premier League

Your argument is that a player who is woefully out of form getting a break from the side is definitely not going to be beneficial in the long run.

My argument is that losing the best striker in the history of this club (and statistically the Premier League - both this season and in history on a MPG basis), who has proven time and time again that, whenever he goes through these dryish spells (yet still outscores the replacement striker by a huge ratio in that supposed bad period), he has always turned it around and scored a shit ton more goals than anyone else therefore his injury will not help us. That's especially the case with so many fixtures coming up across the winter period and being left with one fit striker in a period notorious for injury pile-ups, and knowing that Aguero is slow to recover from injury.

The argument that you're making - that this will somehow help us, is nothing short of utter footballing lunacy that I'm beginning to regret even indulging with a response.

i love aguero to bits but i feel this is going to be his last good season and being the number one choice pep goes turns to. pep and city need to build another team in the summer and 4 to 5 new faces and a striker will be one of them. so we will have Jesus sterling and sane if he stays and aguero is he stays too

pep lacks options up front and for me would like some height and power over speed, now is there anybody in that mode on the market and good enough i don't know. spurs kane is the sort of player i would like. not him but somebody in that style so lets hope city have somebody in mind
I've felt Aguero was nearing the end of his career for a while but he keeps proving me wrong. He isn't quick any more so I don't think you'll see a big drop off with age. I think he'll go on like Sheringham did.

If Aguero gets injured then Jesus can come in, and he has the capability to improve City's performance and results. That is not a prediction but it is a realistic hope. When Laporte go injured there was no one obvious to come in and do what he does. This is a different situation.

Just got to hope he doesn't pick up a knock,or we are fucked.

Even tomorrow I wouldn't risk Jesus,put Sterling central
I thought about that. I'd start Jesus but just give him an hour. Might be an opportunity to start with a goal.

No really sure why there's a big kick-off about it. Would anyone in their right mind rather have Sergio missing over available? Definitely not. Is this a great opportunity for Jesus to show the powers that be that he can be Sergio's replacement for the next 5-6-7 years then most definitely yes.

The major issue is going to come when we have league and cup games every week, I certainly wouldn't be playing Jesus every game.

Memory is failing, but at the start of 17/18 (?), we had a front three of Sane, Jesus & Sterling and their speed and interchange passes was ripping defences to shreds. The general consensus of opinion was that these three "youngsters" would go on to be the most feared attack in world football.
If that trio's form had continued (under Pep's guidance) and without injuries or other issues I wonder just how different this season would look.

My argument is that losing the best striker in the history of this club (and statistically the Premier League - both this season and in history on a MPG basis), who has proven time and time again that, whenever he goes through these dryish spells (yet still outscores the replacement striker by a huge ratio in that supposed bad period), he has always turned it around and scored a shit ton more goals than anyone else therefore his injury will not help us. That's especially the case with so many fixtures coming up across the winter period and being left with one fit striker in a period notorious for injury pile-ups, and knowing that Aguero is slow to recover from injury.

The argument that you're making - that this will somehow help us, is nothing short of utter footballing lunacy that I'm beginning to regret even indulging with a response.

So like usual, your argument is based on looking backwards at the past, and not what's happening in the present day, citing stats with no relevance to the current situation while ignoring the entire other side of the argument and hoping our problem at striker just resolves itself magically.

No wonder you regret getting into it, you're entire argument boils down to "yeah but look at the past".

Your argument would have Aguero starting for us at 38 with 1 goal in his last 3 seasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.