Aguero's successor?

We will play a different way. Jesus needs a strike partner. Plays best with Kun. Bellamy and Tevez were mustard together so we will adapt.

Sergio is irreplaceable - Pep knows that. I wonder if we will buy a completely different type of striker - bigger aerial threat to use on some occasions but equally can see the no striker at all tactic being employed in big games.

Gabby gets such a tough time on here. His record speaks for itself though. He's no Serg, but who is?
I mean the point is, he's different. There's not a single player in the world that can do all of the things that Aguero does. Same for Suarez, Lewandowski, Cavani, Neymar etc. That's what happens when you have players of that quality, they're both uniquely good and uniquely talented.

See, the dream scenario is that Jesus becomes a top top goalscorer in his own right. Whether it'll happen or not is up in the air, but so far the stats are leaning favourably. But if that were to happen, and he fulfilled his potential as an overall player whatever that may be, he still wouldn't be able to do half the things Aguero has done. The point again is though, he'd be able to do things that Aguero himself has never done. For example, Jesus would never be able to thump it into the near post like Aguero does. But I've rarely ever seen Aguero place a peach of a curler into the top corner like Jesus has developed a habit of recently.

Even if he only hits 90% of Aguero's level, that's still fantastic. The only real metric that matters is goals, or at an absolute push, direct goal involvements. If he plays differently or gets the goals differently then that's just a matter of style. My fear is people are judging Jesus because he doesn't have the exact same skillset than Aguero therefore he'll never hit that level. I feel similarly about Rodri with Fernandinho although Fern isn't placed on as high as a pedestal as Aguero (understandably)

Imagine if one day Ederson left and we brought in a young keeper who had great potential. He had the makings of being a better shot-stopper and catch crosser than Ederson, but a weaker passer and sweeper. And then we all spent every day pointing out how this new keeper would never be Ederson even though he's young and probably contributes just as much in a different way.

I've had said this a million times before but we've never replaced Touré and we never will. De Bruyne came in and replaced the talent and quality but they couldn't be more different players. We won't replace Silva when he goes; nobody can read the game in those positions like him. But Bernardo and Foden will more than hopefully make up the gap in terms of talent, bringing something new to the table. We won't replace Sané if/when he goes either, because there's so few players out there like him. But we'll ideally find someone equally talented in a new way. That's the point of being a top club, you just don't have one set of players forever. It's like United, they replaced Beckham and Van Nistelrooy with two very different players, Ronaldo and Rooney. But it turned out ok for them.

I do wonder if the fact that we're coming to the end of our first great team of this era has created this mentality. In 8 years time when the up and coming batch have gone we might be more receiving of the next group.

I want a 23/24 yr old that has all the hallmarks sergio has,the problem was buying them younger is they haven't really show what they have got

Whatever manager we have they would sll like a sergio clone

Gabby offers differnt things but doesn't sdd up to a dergio

Saying that i hope sergio stays an extra year

How do you replace him the best forward we've ever had at the club,when i saw him in his first game against Swansea I thought this guys going to be good. How wrong was I he's simply unbelievable in front of goal words don't do justice to his contribution to our club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.