Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

So. Many people know me on here and judging by the amount of new users many don't.
I have gone from the young lad that gets smashed Friday to Sunday to the grown up that has a few drinks after work.
Unfortunately in the last 3 years and if I'm honest since my mum passed away my drinking has become unstoppable. I will drink to excess 5 or 6 nights a week it doesn't matter what I'm doing or what is happening I cannot stop until I'm absolutely hammered, i pretend im okay by going to bed early 1 night without a drink. I need help but AA is all about finding God which I'm absolutely not interested in.
I'm not an alcoholic but I'm on the brink amd I don't know what to do
Hi. It’s Jim from back in the London days. Long time no see.

I’m very sorry to hear about your mum.

Admitting you have a problem is the very first step. Rather than AA, would you not consider the doctors instead? I broke down in 2020 and was diagnosed with a mild bout of depression. That changed my life. I’m still on medication now but it’s become as much as the routine as putting the morning kettle on.

Alcohol is a depressant and can fuck you up very easily. You’ve got this, friend.

So. Many people know me on here and judging by the amount of new users many don't.
I have gone from the young lad that gets smashed Friday to Sunday to the grown up that has a few drinks after work.
Unfortunately in the last 3 years and if I'm honest since my mum passed away my drinking has become unstoppable. I will drink to excess 5 or 6 nights a week it doesn't matter what I'm doing or what is happening I cannot stop until I'm absolutely hammered, i pretend im okay by going to bed early 1 night without a drink. I need help but AA is all about finding God which I'm absolutely not interested in.

Sorry to hear that. My Mum died just over a year ago and it's very hard to deal with. I've been drinking more than I usually would and it's a pain that is always there. Dealing with that pain by talking about it will probably help you with coping with alcohol, that's the reason you're drinking so maybe talk to someone about that and find another way. I'm sure your Mum would have wanted you to live a healthy life, so you've taken the first step towards that.

Hey mate. You've done the first step. Admitting you have a problem. The trick now is too step away. With help. It will be a long road but you can do it.

PM me if you want a chat. Lost my Mum 4 years ago and it was hard for a while.

I'm going to be blunt here but that's because of the affection I hold you in. I do know you pretty well Sean and I'm sorry to hear this. But you absolutely are an alcoholic. Reading your story there's no doubt about that.

While it's good that you recognise there is a problem, unless you accept you're an alcoholic then you'll be struggling to beat it. So tell yourself you're an alcoholic and either get down to AA or, as Jim says, to your GP. The way you've talked about AA shows you still don't grasp the scale of the problem.

Last time I spoke to Tony, he'd seemingly got on top of his alcohol problem. You must have been in the City Pride on those nights when Kevin Kennedy was there watching games with us and he was managing his alcoholism. I felt really bad buying a round when we were all on beer and he drank water all night. But I admired his strength of character.

Last edited:
There's a decent AA documentary on iplayer which is quite revealing, where they go behind the scenes and interview attendees.

Been a few months since I watched it but there isn't a focus on God, it is up to you to define your "Higher power".

My thoughts are with you. My experience is that the pain of loneliness creates a void that you want to cram with anything at all - especially drink. I used to think of it like hurting myself in a way others would not notice. Hopefully you go and get the help to fight the vice but also what's at the root. If you can you are a real hero. As good as anyone we follow on a pitch.

Hi. It’s Jim from back in the London days. Long time no see.

I’m very sorry to hear about your mum.

Admitting you have a problem is the very first step. Rather than AA, would you not consider the doctors instead? I broke down in 2020 and was diagnosed with a mild bout of depression. That changed my life. I’m still on medication now but it’s become as much as the routine as putting the morning kettle on.

Alcohol is a depressant and can fuck you up very easily. You’ve got this, friend.
Hi mate, really is long time no see.

I been on anti depressants when my mum passed as she chose 3 days before lock down so i got it all in one go, didnt even know it was happening until my wife sat me down and said you dont talk or laugh anymore talk to me!
Came off In August after 2 years.
Doctor my be a good first call. I'm embarrassed

Colin is right.
Hi mate, really is long time no see.

I been on anti depressants when my mum passed as she chose 3 days before lock down so i got it all in one go, didnt even know it was happening until my wife sat me down and said you dont talk or laugh anymore talk to me!
Came off In August after 2 years.
Doctor my be a good first call. I'm embarrassed
It's not embarrassing mate. You need help.

Ring a doctor.

Have a look at going to your nearest Smart Recovery Meeting, they are different from AA if you don't fancy that. Google your nearest one. All the best Blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.