Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Almost 5 months dry for me and I am already noticing huge differences.
Have gone from 113kg (fat slob with huge beer belly) to 96.3kg, loss of 16.7Kg; I do feel a little proud of myself.
It shows me how shit, alcohol, bad diet and infrequent gym usage is for your health and wallet.
Money saved is substantial, I do notice a difference even with cost of living crisis.
Funny things you notice, but recycling wheelie bin is much lighter every bin day now. :)
Well that and the kids and there is my motivation.

Love hearing the positive stories in this thread, keep on smashing it Blues!

Have gone from 113kg (fat slob with huge beer belly) to 96.3kg, loss of 16.7Kg; I do feel a little proud of myself.
It shows me how shit, alcohol, bad diet and infrequent gym usage is for your health and wallet.
Money saved is substantial, I do notice a difference even with cost of living crisis.
Funny things you notice, but recycling wheelie bin is much lighter every bin day now. :)

Good lad, keep it going Blue. Enjoy the many benefits.

I lost two stone in weight, BMI now 23.5 (not bad at all for a 63 year old,) waist size from 38" to 32", heart rate way down from around 100 bpm to 75-80. No more arrhythmic heart beats and blood pressure back down to normal levels.

No more snoring during the night, so everyone sleeps better. Less lethargy, (still a lazy fucker but no excuses for not doing things that need to be done.) Sleep is really refreshing nowadays and I wake up feeling great.

My liver was scanned and showed signs of damage. Now that I've gone 17 months without a drop, I'd like to have another scan to see how much,(if) it's recovered.

Mood swings have settled too. It was a huge change after 40 years of daily heavy drinking, but I feel calm and settled in this new state of wellbeing.

Hope that helps.

I lost two stone in weight, BMI now 23.5 (not bad at all for a 63 year old,) waist size from 38" to 32", heart rate way down from around 100 bpm to 75-80. No more arrhythmic heart beats and blood pressure back down to normal levels.

No more snoring during the night, so everyone sleeps better. Less lethargy, (still a lazy fucker but no excuses for not doing things that need to be done.) Sleep is really refreshing nowadays and I wake up feeling great.

My liver was scanned and showed signs of damage. Now that I've gone 17 months without a drop, I'd like to have another scan to see how much,(if) it's recovered.

Mood swings have settled too. It was a huge change after 40 years of daily heavy drinking, but I feel calm and settled in this new state of wellbeing.

Hope that helps.
That's really great to hear, heart on the mend and 6 inches off your waist wow, some new clothes?

I suspect the news on your liver would be positive, can you ask GP for a test?

That's really great to hear, heart on the mend and 6 inches off your waist wow, some new clothes?

I suspect the news on your liver would be positive, can you ask GP for a test?
I was going to wait until closer to the two year mark to ask for a re-test, (poor old NHS.) Yes, I have had to buy new jeans but the money I've saved far outweighs that expense!

But the heart business? Sure does feel a million times healthier.

Yeah I noticed this yesterday as we have a glass tub. Emptied last week when threw all the booze out but putting the bins out and there it was empty. All my lies to myself of oh yeah sauce jars that glass that broke and hasn't been emptied in 2 months became very real

6 months sober today. Has been really tough at times but pleased to have made it to this milestone.

Now to tidy up the diet and start running. I have replaced the alcohol with sweets and chocolate but now it’s time to reduce that intake.

good luck to anyone fighting the good fight. it is a fucking horrible drug and I sincerely wish anyone who is struggling the best of luck
Developing a sweet tooth is really common after cutting out drinking. It's the body craving the high level of sugars it was used to getting from the alcohol.

I find pomegranate seeds or frozen black grapes a half decent alternative when I need a sweet taste but tbf, some days only a daim bar will do... But I can justify the odd one as it's better than a bottle of wine.

I have absolutely no idea why anybody would give up life's little pleasures. context, the universe is 14.5 billion years old, the Earth 4.5. If by over indulging knocks a few years of your life, so be it, the average life span for a UK male is approx 79 years old, if having a few extra tipples shortens your life by a few years, it is literally fuck all in the scheme of things. Indulge in what ever pleasure you have and don't feel pressured by the Media and people who think they know how to live your life.
As someone who’s got more out of drink than it’s had out of me, from a personal point of view I broadly understand where you’re coming from, but the problem is plenty of people don’t, or no longer do get more out of drinking than it takes from them.

So it’s not just as simple as foreshortening your life (which I accept is likely to be the case with me) but the quality of that life as an consequence of drink as well as the lives of those around and impacted by it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.