Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Does anyone else suffer with this when I was younger I could drink all day and night never got a hangover and felt ok,now over the last couple of years after just a few pints I get a real bad headache and genuinely feel like shit and I mean sometimes after just 3 pints. It must be an age thing or perhaps I’ve become alcohol intolerant I’ve read up on it and it says it can just come on you
It wasn’t so long ago, I was having a conversation with another female work colleague about this. Both of us agreed that no way would we like to go back to the days of waking up with a hangover and feeling like rubbish. Having said that I barely drink these days, if at all, so I think it really is an age thing for most people.

Does anyone else suffer with this when I was younger I could drink all day and night never got a hangover and felt ok,now over the last couple of years after just a few pints I get a real bad headache and genuinely feel like shit and I mean sometimes after just 3 pints. It must be an age thing or perhaps I’ve become alcohol intolerant I’ve read up on it and it says it can just come on you
Tolerance, recovery and hangovers are definitely impacted by age. I've always presumed that it's linked to slowing of metabolism but I could be wrong.

Although I also now find that I can have a headache and dry throat in the morning if I've had more than 2 AF beers too but I'm not sure if that's another ingredient in the beer (I hardly ever drank beer when I drank, usually wine or gin) or if its all just psychological?

Tolerance, recovery and hangovers are definitely impacted by age. I've always presumed that it's linked to slowing of metabolism but I could be wrong.

Although I also now find that I can have a headache and dry throat in the morning if I've had more than 2 AF beers too but I'm not sure if that's another ingredient in the beer (I hardly ever drank beer when I drank, usually wine or gin) or if its all just psychological?
I can have a couple of AF beers before a game and when I get home I'm seriously dehydrated. It surely must be a diuretic. Perhaps it doesn't go well with the stress I feel whilst watching us in big games. But I can come home only having had AF beers and still feel like I've got a mild hangover.

I completed 5 months without a drink yesterday. Don't miss it at all. If I binge then I reckon I vomit 7 times out of 10. That never used to be the case, but I have to be honest with myself and say I can't handle it the same anymore. I know Istanbul is around the corner, but I tell myself it's a bloody sad state of affairs to use it to justify drinking. What would it add to the trip? I'd rather get up early and explore the sites. Drinking on the day of the game will be torturous as your last pint is likely to be at 8pm and you might not get back into town until 2:30am, by which time the hangover will be kicking in.

I can have a couple of AF beers before a game and when I get home I'm seriously dehydrated. It surely must be a diuretic. Perhaps it doesn't go well with the stress I feel whilst watching us in big games. But I can come home only having had AF beers and still feel like I've got a mild hangover.

I completed 5 months without a drink yesterday. Don't miss it at all. If I binge then I reckon I vomit 7 times out of 10. That never used to be the case, but I have to be honest with myself and say I can't handle it the same anymore. I know Istanbul is around the corner, but I tell myself it's a bloody sad state of affairs to use it to justify drinking. What would it add to the trip? I'd rather get up early and explore the sites. Drinking on the day of the game will be torturous as your last pint is likely to be at 8pm and you might not get back into town until 2:30am, by which time the hangover will be kicking in.
Brilliant achievement to hit that milestone mate (which has also coincided with our excellent form as a club).

Pep wants you to stay clear headed for the final............. ;-)

I know Istanbul is around the corner, but I tell myself it's a bloody sad state of affairs to use it to justify drinking. What would it add to the trip? I'd rather get up early and explore the sites. Drinking on the day of the game will be torturous as your last pint is likely to be at 8pm and you might not get back into town until 2:30am, by which time the hangover will be kicking in.
I’m definitely not drinking the day of the game. Lots of reasons it’s a bad idea.

That’s exactly me at the moment.

Enjoy guys - hope everyone is enjoying victory in the suna DNA staying strong.

Tried Stella zero this afternoon - it was so so, still trying to get to grips with it............

After a few weeks of massively reining it in to below 30 units a week had a couple of pretty heavy weeks of about 70 units a week the last fortnight.

Got Wembley and Istanbul coming up too. Problem is, there’s always a fucking excuse. Work doesn’t help, where it’s on offer all the time.

Didn’t find cutting down too much of a chore, but it creeps back in so easily.

Think I’ve got to knock any impromptu trips to the local and drinking from home completely on the head if I’ve got a chance of keeping my drinking below dangerous levels.

Realise my ‘struggles’ aren’t on the same page as many on here, who I respect greatly for their efforts and commitment.
Not sure if your aware Gordon, you probably are, but here goes, 70 units of alcohol. Your liver spent just under 3 days of the week processing/metabolizing that out of your body.
I used to drink far too much, now I can go without it, don't actually like drinking alcohol anymore.

Given up smoking now for 10 weeks, no patches or vapes, still have urges to smoke, very bizarre, thought they'd have gone by now. If I was to have a pint or a short, the smoking craving would go through the roof

You are spot on, it is to do with the slowing down of metabolism of alcohol as you get older. You also have a larger build up of acetaldehyde in the body as it can't metabolize alcohol as quick, acetaldehyde is the first thing your liver metabolises ethanol into, it's far more toxic than the original ethanol you poured into your body.

You are spot on, it is to do with the slowing down of metabolism of alcohol as you get older. You also have a larger build up of acetaldehyde in the body as it can't metabolize alcohol as quick, acetaldehyde is the first thing your liver metabolises ethanol into, it's far more toxic than the original ethanol you poured into your body.
I'm glad I did all my drinking in my younger years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.