Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Potentially a bit of a head scratcher for a morning but what have you found that fills the void?

Or did you effectively discover that there wasn't a void to fill..........
For me, there is nothing that replaces alcohol. There are no Vodka patches you can wear on your arm or 'booze gum' you can chew. Nothing will ever feel like the first can of the day or a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

Alcohol Free beers do a small job of quenching the thirst, with a cold beer effervescence and taste but, unsurprisingly, will never 'hit the spot.'

Every day I have a fight with the temptation and therefore what does fill the void is the happiness I get from beating this daily opponent. Every time I don't drink alcohol, when I know that I so easily could, gives me a small buzz in itself.

That, coupled with the health and wealth savings, is what keeps me going down this route. I'm still an alchy. Always will be. But my willpower and enjoyment of life in general are bolstered by every single occasion that I don't succumb.

For me, there is nothing that replaces alcohol. There are no Vodka patches you can wear on your arm or 'booze gum' you can chew. Nothing will ever feel like the first can of the day or a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

Alcohol Free beers do a small job of quenching the thirst, with a cold beer effervescence and taste but, unsurprisingly, will never 'hit the spot.'

Every day I have a fight with the temptation and therefore what does fill the void is the happiness I get from beating this daily opponent. Every time I don't drink alcohol, when I know that I so easily could, gives me a small buzz in itself.

That, coupled with the health and wealth savings, is what keeps me going down this route. I'm still an alchy. Always will be. But my willpower and enjoyment of life in general are bolstered by every single occasion that I don't succumb.
At least you know that you have this problem.
Pity the poor sods who are mired in it and either don't know, or worse still, don't care.
You're doing well mate.
Here's to your very good health!

Really well articulated that mate - fair play to you ...........

Potentially a bit of a head scratcher for a morning but what have you found that fills the void?

Or did you effectively discover that there wasn't a void to fill..........
I found a complete reset helped ,if you went to bed late ,go early ,if you put things off ,tackle them etc try to create a new person ,if you stayed in go out etc

280 days sober today. Some days are still really tough especially with the weather and the players drinking with social media glorifying it.

With that in mind I have to to say the coverage around grealish and his drinking habits sums up the issue we have with alcohol in the country imo. The fact he is seen as a bit of a lad and is celebrated for being smashed out of his face I just find sad tbh. It’s almost like he is encouraged to play the clown. I just hope he doesn’t have issues with the booze after his career like so many before him.

A problem is the media will encourage people to play the clown and people will like them momentarily because they seem like a bit of a lad and just you see a human and normal element, see that they're just young lads enjoying themselves

But what the media really want to is there to be a problem down the line and then they can absolutely slaughter you and bring you down. They want to build you up and then steer you right into a car crash because what they really want to report on is the aftermath.

When I think that's partly of the media glorifying certain behaviour and people early on. Look at Gazza, obviously he's done things that didn't help himself but I think part of the way ended up is also down the media, they build you and destroy you. You could say the same for young people like Amy Winehouse, young people with a problem that maybe could have dealt with their problems better without the media hounding them every day.

Obviously Jack Grealish is not in that category and he just does seem like that he enjoys himself when it's the moment to do so but you have to be careful in these situations because you don't want to end up playing the character that the media want you to play because life seems good, and then it blurs the line between who you're really are and who you are perceived to be and you end up becoming that and that's when the problem starts.

I won't do a name drop but through a mutual friend got to know a famous/infamous musician with an infamous heroin and crack addiction that was in a relationship with a world famous model, probably not too hard to work out who l...but for quite a long time he never truly come to terms with his addiction because he was basically the "cool" poster boy of that music scene/era, he had critical acclaim as a musician and he was shagging a super model and adored by fans. All this was completely glorified by the media, so why would he wanna change? Life must seem good when you are in your 20s and laid in bed with a famous model, and youre not gonna take notice of peole saying you need to change. The perception of a heroin addict is some skinny lad wandering around the streets like a zombie scraping some money together. But he had all this going for him, and glorified by fans and media.

Because of that, it probably took him years to fully acknowledge he's just a man with a crippling drug addiction. It wasn't really until he was no longer big news that he started to really try to seek recovery. Obviously all these people have personal responsibility and make their own choices, but you wonder without the British press if they might have addressed their issues earlier, or still be alive in the case of Amy Winehouse.

But like i said, the media want the car crash, that's what sells. They're never gonna take a step back and suggest these people seek help.

Young famous people like Grealish need to understand that's the kind of people they're dealing with and the media is not your friend at all. You dont wanna become the character they're building you up to be, that's not the end destination for the media, the downfall is.

A problem is the media will encourage people to play the clown and people will like them momentarily because they seem like a bit of a lad and just you see a human and normal element, see that they're just young lads enjoying themselves

But what the media really want to is there to be a problem down the line and then they can absolutely slaughter you and bring you down. They want to build you up and then steer you right into a car crash because what they really want to report on is the aftermath.

When I think that's partly of the media glorifying certain behaviour and people early on. Look at Gazza, obviously he's done things that didn't help himself but I think part of the way ended up is also down the media, they build you and destroy you. You could say the same for young people like Amy Winehouse, young people with a problem that maybe could have dealt with their problems better without the media hounding them every day.

Obviously Jack Grealish is not in that category and he just does seem like that he enjoys himself when it's the moment to do so but you have to be careful in these situations because you don't want to end up playing the character that the media want you to play because life seems good, and then it blurs the line between who you're really are and who you are perceived to be and you end up becoming that and that's when the problem starts.

I won't do a name drop but through a mutual friend got to know a famous/infamous musician with an infamous heroin and crack addiction that was in a relationship with a world famous model, probably not too hard to work out who l...but for quite a long time he never truly come to terms with his addiction because he was basically the "cool" poster boy of that music scene/era, he had critical acclaim as a musician and he was shagging a super model and adored by fans. All this was completely glorified by the media, so why would he wanna change? Life must seem good when you are in your 20s and laid in bed with a famous model, and youre not gonna take notice of peole saying you need to change. The perception of a heroin addict is some skinny lad wandering around the streets like a zombie scraping some money together. But he had all this going for him, and glorified by fans and media.

Because of that, it probably took him years to fully acknowledge he's just a man with a crippling drug addiction. It wasn't really until he was no longer big news that he started to really try to seek recovery. Obviously all these people have personal responsibility and make their own choices, but you wonder without the British press if they might have addressed their issues earlier, or still be alive in the case of Amy Winehouse.

But like i said, the media want the car crash, that's what sells. They're never gonna take a step back and suggest these people seek help.

Young famous people like Grealish need to understand that's the kind of people they're dealing with and the media is not your friend at all. You dont wanna become the character they're building you up to be, that's not the end destination for the media, the downfall is.
I think I know exactly who the musician you are talking about and ironically I’m wearing a libertines t shirt whilst posting this, seeing him off the drugs has made me incredibly happy. He is a genius imo and I hope to he is able to live happy with his new wife and we are able to enjoy his music for years to come both new and old.

I agree with your post 100%.

You've all gone very quiet and the close season (after an emotional end to the season) is clearly affecting lots of people in lots of different ways.
So I'm just checking in on you all.

Checking in on Day 1817.

Life gets super busy when you're sober. People actually ask you for stuff and rely on you because you're sober and present. Fancy that! Even after all this time my head plays tricks on me, telling me I wasn't an alcoholic because I've gone a long while without a drink. Then I quickly remind said head of the lies, destruction and chaos my drinking caused, and it shuts the fuck up. I spent so much energy hiding my addiction by the end I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Plus my partner deserved honesty. Not futile hope that I'm going to get better and certainly not the illusion that I am getting better. I used to think being an addict was the worst thing in the world, realising I was an addict was the best thing in the world. All about acceptance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.