Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Yesterday one of my locals had a funeral wake for a regular. Like many who have their photo or a plaque on the wall, he pretty much drank himself to death after retirement.

He was a fairly dry humoured guy but slowly degenerated in to an absolute shithouse. He became snider and more belligerent. Any attempt to get a personal dig in and he’d do it.

To see someone’s personal and physical health fall apart because of alcohol should act as a deterrent to many. After my own health scare last year, I’m down to 14 units a week max. I’m then going to begin to reduce it even more.

I absolutely was not. This thread is for all people who want to control their drinking to some extent or another, not just for those who don’t want it in their lives at all, and who think it has no beneficial qualities at all to anyone, which is what his post (which did not quote any other) said.

I would never suppose to tell anyone who never wanted to touch another drop that their perspective was wrong in any way, because everyone’s perspective is different.

It’s hugely complicated issue and simply stopping isn’t what every contributor to this thread wants or needs.
It is dangerous for a physically dependant alcoholic to just stop.

I think the world would be a much better place if drinking alcohol never existed, but it does. There are many reasons why people drink, and many reasons why people don't drink, and that's on them.

I don't know if i'm struggling or not, I've always tried not to drink on a work night, ie not in work the next day. But if I'm not working I'm drinking, I don't drink to relax, I drink to get drunk. I've always had a drink fri&sat. But for quite a while I've thought fuck it and now include Sunday nights, +Thursday as I only work half day Fri. So I'm pretty much pissed up 4 nights a week + during the week, if city play make that 5. I do every now and then abstain for weekend, more of a recovery, catch up on sleep and let myself recover. I mostly binge on vodka. My oldest daughter who is 9 has severe autism + severe learning difficulties and is incredibly hard work and stressful, which I often think is when we get her to bed I fancy a drink to relax, but as said, I don't drink to relax and end up getting pissed. My Mrs has a drink most nights but for her it is to relax, she is rarely drunk. We are both most likely suffering with stress/depression but both have quite a positive outlook on life and the future which may well have us in denial. I'm obviously drunk as I type this and as I type I'm not sure why I started this post, it isn't a cry for help or advice it's just, I don't know, putting it out there. I don't think alcohol is in control of me, (I maybe wrong) but it is certainly a crutch on which I lean.
Like I've said, I can abstain, I could easily do a month without and sometimes do, at least once a year.
I think that i was quite guilty of drinking to numb some difficult emotions. Grief, low level depression, unhappy relationships etc. And once you start to drink to mask your reactions to what's going on, it's easy to get into bad habits.
Whenever I had a month off (usually to convince myself that I could) I'd be straight back with a vengeance.
Since I stopped drinking, I've had to face some of the things I was hiding from and though it's not always easy emotionally, physically and mentally, I'm in a much better place without alcohol than I was with it.

I'm going to try and read as much of this thread as I can. I'm also a functioning alcoholic. I've just done 7 days sober for the first time in years and felt quite proud of myself but this has been followed by a 7 day binge of on an average day: 1 bottle of wine, a few double vodkas, 4 strongbows, 4 dark fruits then more double vodkas. Each day.

It's hard to stay away from it and the longer I do seems to follow the longer I don't.
The gaps between drinking get smaller.

I don't know if i'm struggling or not, I've always tried not to drink on a work night, ie not in work the next day. But if I'm not working I'm drinking, I don't drink to relax, I drink to get drunk. I've always had a drink fri&sat. But for quite a while I've thought fuck it and now include Sunday nights, +Thursday as I only work half day Fri. So I'm pretty much pissed up 4 nights a week + during the week, if city play make that 5. I do every now and then abstain for weekend, more of a recovery, catch up on sleep and let myself recover. I mostly binge on vodka. My oldest daughter who is 9 has severe autism + severe learning difficulties and is incredibly hard work and stressful, which I often think is when we get her to bed I fancy a drink to relax, but as said, I don't drink to relax and end up getting pissed. My Mrs has a drink most nights but for her it is to relax, she is rarely drunk. We are both most likely suffering with stress/depression but both have quite a positive outlook on life and the future which may well have us in denial. I'm obviously drunk as I type this and as I type I'm not sure why I started this post, it isn't a cry for help or advice it's just, I don't know, putting it out there. I don't think alcohol is in control of me, (I maybe wrong) but it is certainly a crutch on which I lean.
Like I've said, I can abstain, I could easily do a month without and sometimes do, at least once a year.
You're seeing alcohol as medication. You and your missus. That's not good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.