Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Hey mate, Christmas went well thanks hope you had a good Christmas also. On day 87 now of no drinking still get the odd temptation but nothing too strong, As for the aniexty that seems to be slowly improving (hope Im not tempting fate) had my first day back at my job today so that’s a positive.

Hoping to get to the etihad for the fa cup game. Fingers crossed I can do it. Appreciate you asking how I’m doing. Hope all is well with you mate
Nice one, mate. To get over the festive period with just the odd temptation is fucking amazing. Don't worry about the odd relapse with anxiety...you might, you might not. But don't put too much thought and worry into it. You might still get a bit anxious...it doesn't mean it's all coming back. Like I say, it's just your brain remembering. If you get anxious, just think to yourself, "I'm not bothered. It can't do anything to me." and just let it happen.
I still get the odd anxiety attack when I'm smoking weed and that's how i deal with it. It's about changing the way we think.
Nice one bud. Yeah...my xmas was great until I came down with COVID on Boxing Day! My whole family! At least we managed xmas day ok.

As January is coming to an end, those of you who are doing the 'Dry January ' or whatever it's called might like to think about what you've achieved, how you feel now and whether going another month would be a good thing for your health and bank balance.

Four months in and I've not regretting stopping.
Brilliant achievement...............

As January is coming to an end, those of you who are doing the 'Dry January ' or whatever it's called might like to think about what you've achieved, how you feel now and whether going another month would be a good thing for your health and bank balance.

Four months in and I've not regretting stopping.
Well done, that’s brilliant

I'm 34 and I've started to hate going out on sessions now with the lads. Not sure if lockdown has made me socially awkward in groups but I really don't enjoy it.

I sound like an old fart but I've genuinley not enjoyed the last few nights out I've had. Don't get me wrong, its great 3 - 4 pints in where the banters flowing and everybody is joyful but going from merry to pissed isn't enjoyable. Nights quickly turn in to lads repeating themselves, slurring and feeling really pissed. Realy isn't worth the following day being written off then back in work Monday.

Much prefer going for a nice walk followed by a couple of drinks with food these days with the Mrs or lads individually.

I've been through ALL of what you're going through, mate. I know it seems like you're stuck in this endless cycle of worry, anxiety, panic, but you WILL get through it. It would be good to see your doctor to get a general check up (easier said than done at the moment, I know) as knowing that you're ok health wise can relieve a lot of the worry.
If your heart is of average health, you will NOT have any heart attacks or such. Even when you panic and it feels like your heart is going to explode, it's perfectly safe...it's meant to beat that fast when we worry. And it can beat that fast for a long time too. It feels awful and scary at the time but it's just your body's way of dealing with a threat...a threat that you're imagining. You get to the stage where the fear is...of panic attacks themselves. We imagine them to be something they're not. Like we imagine the next one will finish us off or something!
Next time you're getting panicky, just let it happen. Go with the flow. ALLOW yourself to panic. Nothing bad can happen. Once the brain gets used to nothing bad happening, it gets bored of panic attacks, and you stop being scared of them.
This is great advice.

Well done to anyone who has a problem with booze giving it up. I've lost a few good friends to the piss, some very talented lads too. They say that you alone have to come to the point when to pack it in, some never do. I thank god I never ended up in that situation. Good luck to you all and I hope you achieve your goals.

Well done to anyone who has a problem with booze giving it up. I've lost a few good friends to the piss, some very talented lads too. They say that you alone have to come to the point when to pack it in, some never do. I thank god I never ended up in that situation. Good luck to you all and I hope you achieve your goals.
You are indeed alone in making the choice to give up. Others can encourage you, doctors can advise you, friends and family can insist you must, but if you don't actually want to stop, you won't. I gave up lots of times but was always thinking, "I can't see me sticking at this. I love my booze too much." Then, after a while of being a good boy, I'd reward myself with a can and after a week or so I was back to square one.

Anyhow, an update on where I am now.

When I stopped on 23rd September last year, I was being told that I was doing a really good thing and that I would see the benefits, all for the best etc etc. This I found extremely difficult to believe, as I was going through the different stages of loss at the time. I had them all and the counselling I got helped me through that difficult period. I received a lot of really helpful and supportive posts and PMs on Bluemoon too. Thanks everyone, seriously.

Now it's over 150 days and I can report the following:

1) Health - My blood pressure is back down to normal levels, my heart rate has gone down from 95 - 110 bpm to a sedate 82 - 85 bpm and the arrthymic heart rate which caused the nurse during my last medical to believe her machine was malfunctioning has returned to normal, (unless I'm watching City.)

I've lost over seven kilos in weight, two inches in belt size, beer belly gone and no man boobs or double chin now.. All this without exercise or going to the gym.

2) Wealth - I am saving so much money, (much needed as the cost of everything else is going up.) We are talking about £250 to £300 a month I am not spending. And to have £300 to spend, I have to earn £500 before tax. This equates to an extra £6,000 earnings a year. This is minimum!

3) Happiness - Now this is a difficult one to promote. I have certainly had periods of unhappiness after giving up but with the support I've had as mentioned above, I believe I've got through that and am now in a happier place.

My family is certainly overjoyed that I've done what I have and my relationships with them are much better.

I am calm and pleased with what I've achieved.

I won't lie that things are all fluffy and nice at all times. Standing in the middle of a packed pub in Norwich, surrounded by happy, pissed-up football supporters whilst I nurse a glass of Appletise, (other soft drinks are available,) isn't the most gleeful feeling in the world but I remember everything about the match, the day out, the travel, my friends etc and I got home safely without falling into a drunken sleep on the train and ending up fuck knows where after all trains have stopped.

4) Employment - My boss knows, but apart from one colleague with whom I go to watch City, no one else at work is aware of my change. My boss is delighted with me and was happy to have helped in supporting my decision to quit. Every time I walk in to book on, I know I can be tested for alcohol and be 100% certain I will not register a single blip on the scale. This is a far cry from when I would be going in, hoping to fuck that I wouldn't be tested.

With my renewed health, I like to think there will be no more scares at my annual medical and I can continue to work for as long as I want.

And there we have it. For those that are skeptical about the 'benefits' of stopping, I hope that puts a bit of flesh on the bones of the idea. (Vegan options are available. )

Keep at it, those who are just starting stopping and if anyone wants to chat in private, although there are many on here who have been abstinent much longer than me, I am more than happy to give honest advice by PM.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You are indeed alone in making the choice to give up. Others can encourage you, doctors can advise you, friends and family can insist you must, but if you don't actually want to stop, you won't. I gave up lots of times but was always thinking, "I can't see me sticking at this. I love my booze too much." Then, after a while of being a good boy, I'd reward myself with a can and after a week or so I was back to square one.

Anyhow, an update on where I am now.

When I stopped on 23rd September last year, I was being told that I was doing a really good thing and that I would see the benefits, all for the best etc etc. This I found extremely difficult to believe, as I was going through the different stages of loss at the time. I had them all and the counselling I got helped me through that difficult period. I received a lot of really helpful and supportive posts and PMs on Bluemoon too. Thanks everyone, seriously.

Now it's over 150 days and I can report the following:

1) Health - My blood pressure is back down to normal levels, my heart rate has gone down from 95 - 110 bpm to a sedate 82 - 85 bpm and the arrthymic heart rate which caused the nurse during my last medical to believe her machine was malfunctioning has returned to normal, (unless I'm watching City.)

I've lost over seven kilos in weight, two inches in belt size, beer belly gone and no man boobs or double chin now.. All this without exercise or going to the gym.

2) Wealth - I am saving so much money, (much needed as the cost of everything else is going up.) We are talking about £250 to £300 a month I am not spending. And to have £300 to spend, I have to earn £500 before tax. This equates to an extra £6,000 earnings a year. This is minimum!

3) Happiness - Now this is a difficult one to promote. I have certainly had periods of unhappiness after giving up but with the support I've had as mentioned above, I believe I've got through that and am now in a happier place.

My family is certainly overjoyed that I've done what I have and my relationships with them are much better.

I am calm and pleased with what I've achieved.

I won't lie that things are all fluffy and nice at all times. Standing in the middle of a packed pub in Norwich, surrounded by happy, pissed-up football supporters whilst I nurse a glass of Appletise, (other soft drinks are available,) isn't the most gleeful feeling in the world but I remember everything about the match, the day out, the travel, my friends etc and I got home safely without falling into a drunken sleep on the train and ending up fuck knows where after all trains have stopped.

4) Employment - My boss knows, but apart from one colleague with whom I go to watch City, no one else at work is aware of my change. My boss is delighted with me and was happy to have helped in supporting my decision to quit. Every time I walk in to book on, I know I can be tested for alcohol and be 100% certain I will not register a single blip on the scale. This is a far cry from when I would be going in, hoping to fuck that I wouldn't be tested.

With my renewed health, I like to think there will be no more scares at my annual medical and I can continue to work for as long as I want.

And there we have it. For those that are skeptical about the 'benefits' of stopping, I hope that puts a bit of flesh on the bones of the idea. (Vegas options are available. )

Keep at it, those who are just starting stopping and if anyone wants to chat in private, although there are many on here who have been abstinent much longer than me, I am more than happy to give honest advice by PM.

Cheers!

Good post! Glad you're doing well. Are you done with it for good or just for a period of time?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.