Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

You are indeed alone in making the choice to give up. Others can encourage you, doctors can advise you, friends and family can insist you must, but if you don't actually want to stop, you won't. I gave up lots of times but was always thinking, "I can't see me sticking at this. I love my booze too much." Then, after a while of being a good boy, I'd reward myself with a can and after a week or so I was back to square one.

Anyhow, an update on where I am now.

When I stopped on 23rd September last year, I was being told that I was doing a really good thing and that I would see the benefits, all for the best etc etc. This I found extremely difficult to believe, as I was going through the different stages of loss at the time. I had them all and the counselling I got helped me through that difficult period. I received a lot of really helpful and supportive posts and PMs on Bluemoon too. Thanks everyone, seriously.

Now it's over 150 days and I can report the following:

1) Health - My blood pressure is back down to normal levels, my heart rate has gone down from 95 - 110 bpm to a sedate 82 - 85 bpm and the arrthymic heart rate which caused the nurse during my last medical to believe her machine was malfunctioning has returned to normal, (unless I'm watching City.)

I've lost over seven kilos in weight, two inches in belt size, beer belly gone and no man boobs or double chin now.. All this without exercise or going to the gym.

2) Wealth - I am saving so much money, (much needed as the cost of everything else is going up.) We are talking about £250 to £300 a month I am not spending. And to have £300 to spend, I have to earn £500 before tax. This equates to an extra £6,000 earnings a year. This is minimum!

3) Happiness - Now this is a difficult one to promote. I have certainly had periods of unhappiness after giving up but with the support I've had as mentioned above, I believe I've got through that and am now in a happier place.

My family is certainly overjoyed that I've done what I have and my relationships with them are much better.

I am calm and pleased with what I've achieved.

I won't lie that things are all fluffy and nice at all times. Standing in the middle of a packed pub in Norwich, surrounded by happy, pissed-up football supporters whilst I nurse a glass of Appletise, (other soft drinks are available,) isn't the most gleeful feeling in the world but I remember everything about the match, the day out, the travel, my friends etc and I got home safely without falling into a drunken sleep on the train and ending up fuck knows where after all trains have stopped.

4) Employment - My boss knows, but apart from one colleague with whom I go to watch City, no one else at work is aware of my change. My boss is delighted with me and was happy to have helped in supporting my decision to quit. Every time I walk in to book on, I know I can be tested for alcohol and be 100% certain I will not register a single blip on the scale. This is a far cry from when I would be going in, hoping to fuck that I wouldn't be tested.

With my renewed health, I like to think there will be no more scares at my annual medical and I can continue to work for as long as I want.

And there we have it. For those that are skeptical about the 'benefits' of stopping, I hope that puts a bit of flesh on the bones of the idea. (Vegan options are available. )

Keep at it, those who are just starting stopping and if anyone wants to chat in private, although there are many on here who have been abstinent much longer than me, I am more than happy to give honest advice by PM.

Cheers!
Absolutely cracking achievement. It cannot be stated enough how difficult it can be for some people to give up alcohol. It really is a horrible drug.

You are indeed alone in making the choice to give up. Others can encourage you, doctors can advise you, friends and family can insist you must, but if you don't actually want to stop, you won't. I gave up lots of times but was always thinking, "I can't see me sticking at this. I love my booze too much." Then, after a while of being a good boy, I'd reward myself with a can and after a week or so I was back to square one.

When I stopped on 23rd September last year, I was being told that I was doing a really good thing and that I would see the benefits, all for the best etc etc. This I found extremely difficult to believe, as I was going through the different stages of loss at the time. I had them all and the counselling I got helped me through that difficult period. I received a lot of really helpful and supportive posts and PMs on Bluemoon too. Thanks everyone, seriously.

1) Health - My blood pressure is back down to normal levels, my heart rate has gone down from 95 - 110 bpm to a sedate 82 - 85 bpm and the arrthymic heart rate which caused the nurse during my last medical to believe her machine was malfunctioning has returned to normal, (unless I'm watching City.)

I've lost over seven kilos in weight, two inches in belt size, beer belly gone and no man boobs or double chin now.. All this without exercise or going to the gym.

2) Wealth - I am saving so much money, (much needed as the cost of everything else is going up.) We are talking about £250 to £300 a month I am not spending. And to have £300 to spend, I have to earn £500 before tax. This equates to an extra £6,000 earnings a year. This is minimum!

3) Happiness - Now this is a difficult one to promote. I have certainly had periods of unhappiness after giving up but with the support I've had as mentioned above, I believe I've got through that and am now in a happier place.

My family is certainly overjoyed that I've done what I have and my relationships with them are much better.

I won't lie that things are all fluffy and nice at all times. Standing in the middle of a packed pub in Norwich, surrounded by happy, pissed-up football supporters whilst I nurse a glass of Appletise, (other soft drinks are available,) isn't the most gleeful feeling in the world but I remember everything about the match, the day out, the travel, my friends etc and I got home safely without falling into a drunken sleep on the train and ending up fuck knows where after all trains have stopped.

4) Employment - My boss knows, but apart from one colleague with whom I go to watch City, no one else at work is aware of my change. My boss is delighted with me and was happy to have helped in supporting my decision to quit. Every time I walk in to book on, I know I can be tested for alcohol and be 100% certain I will not register a single blip on the scale. This is a far cry from when I would be going in, hoping to fuck that I wouldn't be tested.

With my renewed health, I like to think there will be no more scares at my annual medical and I can continue to work for as long as I want.

And there we have it. For those that are skeptical about the 'benefits' of stopping, I hope that puts a bit of flesh on the bones of the idea. (Vegan options are available. )

Keep at it, those who are just starting stopping and if anyone wants to chat in private, although there are many on here who have been abstinent much longer than me, I am more than happy to give honest advice by PM.

Cheers!
Really insightful write up as well as an unbelievable achievement - brilliant effort mate............

4) Employment - My boss knows, but apart from one colleague with whom I go to watch City, no one else at work is aware of my change. My boss is delighted with me and was happy to have helped in supporting my decision to quit.u go the stronger you'll get Every time I walk in to book on, I know I can be tested for alcohol and be 100% certain I will not register a single blip on the scale. This is a far cry from when I would be going in, hoping to fuck that I wouldn't be tested.

Cheers!
Best wishes and best of luck mate. The longer you go the stronger you'll get.

Cheers!
That's fucking amazing, mate. Made my day.
The bit about being surrounded by drinkers...I just remind myself how I don't have to suffer the after effects. How i could never stop drinking once I'd started. I know I can leave when people start getting a bit too..pissed. I just laugh when they start crying and arguing over fuck all! I know I won't have a hang over (which always lead to more drinking) I know I can go home, put my feet up with a nice cup of tea and be content that no alcohol has passed through my body.

Day 229 of being sober. Not in itself a significant milestone, but today is the day I have been on this planet one day longer than my father managed. He was an alcoholic too. RIP Dad.
Week done stick to it ,lost my brother last month, nearly 3 years dry on day decided to drink 1/2 a bottle of Vodka dead within 3 months liver and body started to shut down , wouldn't wish this on any one ,he had wife son daughter grandkids and brothers and sisters,hope you and the OP are doing well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.