Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

I'm a functioning alcoholic. I drink everyday. I still manage work because I'm good at what I do. If you've got on a plane with a trent ten strapped to the wing then there's parts in that engine I've signed off.
I gave up last year for six months. That was weird, nobody noticed.
Anyone else a useless alcoholic like me?
Don't put yourself down fella. I'll give you a story see if it helps. My uncle was an alcoholic everyday straight to the pub after work and stay in the pub for the night along with every weekend from morning until night constantly drinking but like you always turned up at work would never miss a day because he was a hard worker and brilliant at his job.

One night my mam got a phone call from the hospital, My uncle was found in an alleyway right outside his local. We all went up thinking he was dead, He came around and didn’t know who a single one of us was, It took him weeks for him to get to know us all again. My mam wanted him to come with us and the doctor strongly advised "not to" as he would just continue to drink. His advice was let him learn the hard way and he ended up in the homeless aid, All of us were devastated having to do this to him but it proceeded. The doctor told him of he continued to drink he would be dead in a short space of time and us as a family had to tell him we are all finished with him if he drank again.

That was 10 years ago he hasn't touched a drop of alcohol. He's on medication because he is still very forgetful now and again but he has his own place now comes to visit us and we visit him he's incredible to my kids and the rest of our family, He done us all proud an incredible achievement. I can assure you if he do it anybody can do it. Not sure if you have family or not so I'm just presuming just think of the people it's effecting around you. It's horrible what it does to people and families it ruins lives. You are really lucky you still have an opportunity to turn this around whilst alot of people don't get that chance.

I wish you all the best.

Really sorry just edited this posy because I only realised what date the topic was posted.

Something else which I'm not sure if many of you know but it's a good bit of advice. When my uncle was and brought to the hospital we were having a meeting with the doctors a couple of days later, My uncles liver was actually PERFECT absolutely nothing wrong with it after 40 years of drinking every single day.

My uncle suffered from "blackouts" which many of us may know waking up the next morning thinking "What did I do last night?" "How did I get home?" ect

Anyway, If you suffer from blackouts that means the alcohol is always going to your head and not your liver which will more than likely cause wet brain further down the line for heavy drinkers..

So if you do suffer from blackouts that's the reason behind it.

Don't put yourself down fella. I'll give you a story see if it helps. My uncle was an alcoholic everyday straight to the pub after work and stay in the pub for the night along with every weekend from morning until night constantly drinking but like you always turned up at work would never miss a day because he was a hard worker and brilliant at his job.

One night my mam got a phone call from the hospital, My uncle was found in an alleyway right outside his local. We all went up thinking he was dead, He came around and didn’t know who a single one of us was, It took him weeks for him to get to know us all again. My mam wanted him to come with us and the doctor strongly advised "not to" as he would just continue to drink. His advice was let him learn the hard way and he ended up in the homeless aid, All of us were devastated having to do this to him but it proceeded. The doctor told him of he continued to drink he would be dead in a short space of time and us as a family had to tell him we are all finished with him if he drank again.

That was 10 years ago he hasn't touched a drop of alcohol. He's on medication because he is still very forgetful now and again but he has his own place now comes to visit us and we visit him he's incredible to my kids and the rest of our family, He done us all proud an incredible achievement. I can assure you if he do it anybody can do it. Not sure if you have family or not so I'm just presuming just think of the people it's effecting around you. It's horrible what it does to people and families it ruins lives. You are really lucky you still have an opportunity to turn this around whilst alot of people don't get that chance.

I wish you all the best.

Really sorry just edited this posy because I only realised what date the topic was posted.
Great story and the memory loss bit triggered a memory.
Patrick Thistle had a manager called John Lambie. He managed them on four separate occasions over the years. He was a real character and famous for his patter and being a headcase.

One game one of his players got clattered and was out for the count. Thistle had used their subs and needed him to continue. The physio had a look at him and went to speak to Lambie.

Lambie. How is he?
Physio. He’s fucked boss. He doesn’t know who he is.
Lambie: Tell the **** he’s Pele and stick him back on.

Great story and the memory loss bit triggered a memory.
Patrick Thistle had a manager called John Lambie. He managed them on four separate occasions over the years. He was a real character and famous for his patter and being a headcase.

One game one of his players got clattered and was out for the count. Thistle had used their subs and needed him to continue. The physio had a look at him and went to speak to Lambie.

Lambie. How is he?
Physio. He’s fucked boss. He doesn’t know who he is.
Lambie: Tell the **** he’s Pele and stick him back on.
Haha brilliant!

I wish you all the best.

No worries mate, thanks for sharing that, and taking the time to post.
It's very much appreciated.

Day 229 of being sober. Not in itself a significant milestone, but today is the day I have been on this planet one day longer than my father managed. He was an alcoholic too. RIP Dad.
Absolutely outstanding that mate - really inspiring stuff and a great demonstration to us all of what is achievable...........

One year, no alcohol.

I'm not bragging. Just thanking everyone who helped.

Can't say I don't miss it but I am sure glad I don't suffer from its hold over me any more.

I have noticed my family and friends have reduced their intake too. Maybe just when around me, I don't know.

What I do know is that I am definitely in a better place relationship-wise, health-wise, job-wise and finance-wise.

I truly hope all those who are struggling with any addictions get the support they need to overcome them. (My PM door is always open.)

One year, no alcohol.

Can't say I don't miss it but I am sure glad I don't suffer from its hold over me any more.

I have noticed my family and friends have reduced their intake too. Maybe just when around me, I don't know.

What I do know is that I am definitely in a better place relationship-wise, health-wise, job-wise and finance-wise.

I truly hope all those who are struggling with any addictions get the support they need to overcome them. (My PM door is always open.)
Great post, that's some achievement mate, hat's off.
Nice touch with your bracketed last sentence.

One year, no alcohol.

Well done. Cracking achievement that.

Alcohol is such a nasty addiction with all its associated health issues. I know more people than I should who have died as a direct result of that horrible disease.

Alcohol can be enjoyed sensibly, but it all too easy to get into bad habits which can tip over into addiction without people realising.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.