Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

@N1985 I feel I should say I was in no way trying to undermine your good advice with my post.
I consider myself lucky that this year I've really turned a corner in my personal struggle.
No spirits whatsoever.
Not one hour missed from work due to alcohol.
That's not happened for at least 30 years.
I feel I'm getting there, even if I'm not completely dry.
Like I said, we all have our own ways of dealing with it, there's no rule book, unfortunately.

The temptation is diminishing over time for me. Second Christmas and fifteen months no alcohol. Body and mind are so much happier. PM box also open, as always. If you feel a need to discuss, we are here for you.

Great, great work. First Christmas is definitely the hardest but I'd be liar if I hadn't walked past the boozer earlier and had a pang of feeling like something was missing,and I'm 5 years without a drop. Always easy to let your head run riot and trick you into thinking you'll get away with one, or it'll be different this time. It won't. Being sober has give me things far beyond my wildest dreams. If I walked in that pub they'd all be gone by the morning. Stay safe Blues, be vigilant, and enjoy having a clear head that isn't full of regret, worry and shame in the morning.

@N1985 I feel I should say I was in no way trying to undermine your good advice with my post.
I consider myself lucky that this year I've really turned a corner in my personal struggle.
No spirits whatsoever.
Like I said, we all have our own ways of dealing with it, there's no rule book, unfortunately.

In no way did I think you were matey, you're doing fantastic pal. There are many roads along this journey, and each journey is different buddy. This shit doesn't come with an instruction manual, we do the best with what we've got and it sounds like you're doing amazing blue.

No spirits whatsoever.
All have different ways of coping pal. If you're getting there then it's a win

I'm a functioning alcoholic. I drink everyday. I still manage work because I'm good at what I do. If you've got on a plane with a trent ten strapped to the wing then there's parts in that engine I've signed off.
I gave up last year for six months. That was weird, nobody noticed.
Anyone else a useless alcoholic like me?
I have been and pretty much the same as you.

I used to drink every day, 5-6 330 ml cans a day and on my days off work even more.

I once gave up for 6 months. I started again and found i could even drink more.

When we had the pandemic I was drinking even more as there was no journey home for me to start drinking, then one day due to ill health I had to give up for at least 10 days and now 921 days later I am stil not drinking.

Its a good job as well, as in between then and now I have been diagnosed with advanced glucoma and been off work and if I had been drinking I would have been a hell of lot worse. Along with other personal challenges in my life.

So for me to break the cycle it took an enforced break. Maybe that could be a good time to give up.

just wish now I could do the same with smoking weed and cigarettes.

Last edited:
No spirits whatsoever.
Everyone is different regarding this, didn’t have a drink for about 3 months admittedly was in hospital for about 2 but didn’t miss it when I came out, best advice I can give is, you know your body better than anyone but err on the side of caution, stay well everyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.