Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

It gets easier as time goes by. Wife's cousin visited yesterday. Haven't seen him for about fifteen years. He very kindly gave me a bottle of Islay single malt as a present. I smiled and thanked him.

I sighed a little inside but that was it. No other feelings.

And thanks for the offers to take it out of temptation's way; it's going to one of my sons :)

So far, so good. Have missed it a lot less than in previous dry months. I’ve got a mad, seriously intense fortnight coming up, work wise, and it will be interesting to see how I respond when I get to the other end of it, around 25th. In previous years I would have called time on my dry month a few days early, but I’m a bit more determined to see it through this time - and more importantly, reduce my intake after this month is over.
Did fall off the wagon on the weekend, which was a conscious decision rather than a moment of weakness. My lad came to stay with his girlfriend and our nights out together are too infrequent and too much fun to eschew. Decided to have a day off. Back on the wagon since yesterday and I’m going to extend a little into February to compensate.

I definitely noticed the hangover more yesterday because it was isolated, I expect, which has just reinforced how I need to cut back. Didn’t regret drinking on Saturday, yesterday, it was a brilliant night out, but nights like that definitely need to be much more infrequent.

Did fall off the wagon on the weekend, which was a conscious decision rather than a moment of weakness. My lad came to stay with his girlfriend and our nights out together are too infrequent and too much fun to eschew. Decided to have a day off. Back on the wagon since yesterday and I’m going to extend a little into February to compensate.

I definitely noticed the hangover more yesterday because it was isolated, I expect, which has just reinforced how I need to cut back. Didn’t regret drinking on Saturday, yesterday, it was a brilliant night out, but nights like that definitely need to be much more infrequent.

Don't beat yourself up (not that you are). Dry January is about cutting back for the long term.

I'm focused on capping my drinking at 1 day a week for the year and won't forget that once February comes.

So far, I've only missed drinking on Saturdays (my usual play time). Not drinking on Friday and Sunday hasn't been much of a challenge.

I'm doing dry January myself and it's one of the things I'm picking up on - quality over quantity. Chances are, 9 times out of 10 that beer or glass of wine (or 3) during the week, isn't going to make that much difference in relation to enhancing your day. Having a good time with friends and family is a different kettle of fish

Don't beat yourself up (not that you are). Dry January is about cutting back for the long term.

I'm focused on capping my drinking at 1 day a week for the year and won't forget that once February comes.

So far, I've only missed drinking on Saturdays (my usual play time). Not drinking on Friday and Sunday hasn't been much of a challenge.
Yeah, I’ve said that before on the thread. It’s no good stopping for a month and then going on an eleven month bender! I’ve promised my girlfriend (who never gives me mither about anything) that I’ll look after myself better going forward. I’ve got so much to live for and as much as I love drinking I know I’ve got to drastically reduce my intake if I’m going to keep my word.

It’s tough with my job because booze is on offer all the time, but there’s always an excuse.

I drink a couple of pints 5 days a week is that bad? Am I a alcoholic?
2 pints is probably fine but just be careful if you're doing it regularly at home. If you're drinking socially then that's a bit different, if for example you didn't meet up with people on one day and so didn't need to have those drinks then you're fine.

The main risk even in small amounts is you might one day say well 2 pints doesn't do much for me anymore so I'll have a cheeky 3rd... That slowly gets normalised and you then might starting having a cheeky 4th, 5th etc.

We have alcohol problems in our extended family and denial is the worst thing to get past. A lot of people have no idea how much is too much, someone we know used to be cracking open a 2nd bottle of wine by 8pm and thought nothing of it.

Everyone judges too much by when they get drunk but your body builds a tolerance so if you drink regularly you have to drink even more to get drunk and as that gets worse it starts to do damage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.