Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think City are interested which explains the press speculation.

I don't think they have made a bid but maybe have lodged an expression of interest.

I can't see Sanchez being let go unless we sign a Mbappe and Lemar/Mahrez.

Put yourself in Wenger's position, because of the need to fund the new stadium we experienced 10 years of austerity having to sell players we'd ideally liked to have kept. I'd say in those circumstances qualifying every year for 20 years for the CL was some achievement. We are no longer in that financial position. Wenger knows all too well the frustrations of the fans. He has signed a 2 year extension. I believe it will be his last contract at Arsenal (he will be 70 by then). He will want to go out having done everything to win the Title. I think Kroenke respects him enough to let him have a completely free hand over transfers. If he cannot get the marquee signings I mentioned above, Sanchez will stay regardless of losing him in 12 months and for no value. Challenging for the Title is more important than losing £50m (actually £42m when you deduct the pay rise he's been offered).

That's my analysis. Only time will tell if I'm suffering from the same fault of confirmation bias as the rest of you but there you have it.

Thanks GL.

Frankly I am under no illusions I am simply trying to find out what is actually happening. Up to now this and other threads seem to confuse what is actually happening with speculation or assumptions.

Other than an apparent agreement that City are interested the rest is opinion so is obviously skewed opinion depending on your team.

I think City are interested which explains the press speculation.

I don't think they have made a bid but maybe have lodged an expression of interest.

I can't see Sanchez being let go unless we sign a Mbappe and Lemar/Mahrez.

Put yourself in Wenger's position, because of the need to fund the new stadium we experienced 10 years of austerity having to sell players we'd ideally liked to have kept. I'd say in those circumstances qualifying every year for 20 years for the CL was some achievement. We are no longer in that financial position. Wenger knows all too well the frustrations of the fans. He has signed a 2 year extension. I believe it will be his last contract at Arsenal (he will be 70 by then). He will want to go out having done everything to win the Title. I think Kroenke respects him enough to let him have a completely free hand over transfers. If he cannot get the marquee signings I mentioned above, Sanchez will stay regardless of losing him in 12 months and for no value. Challenging for the Title is more important than losing £50m (actually £42m when you deduct the pay rise he's been offered).

That's my analysis. Only time will tell if I'm suffering from the same fault of confirmation bias as the rest of you but there you have it.
We're repeating ourselves now but anyway

1) I don't rate Wenger. Used to. But not getting into that minefield
2) You wont get Mbappe, but I think Mahrez is available if you're willing to pay £40 plus million. I would. Outstanding talent
3) Arsenal hold his contract but I don't think it would be a good idea to hold him to his last 12 months if his heart is not in it - his head is already elsewhere and you must know that.
4) I don't think City fans are as biased as Arsenal fans on this. Sanchez is Arsenal's star. City's forward line is good enough without sanchez, and if we don't get him next season, we'll have £200m next season to buy the best. Providing there is no implosion this coming season, which looks unlikely, City will get stronger and stronger. Arsenal on the other other hand have a team that is coming to the end of the line very rapidly - Cech, mertseacker, Ozil, Cazorla, Sanchez

Wenger's comments don't come across as overly convincing. It sounds like his best hope is hanging on to Sanchez for another year but him running his contract down, and Sanchez signing a new deal is a forlorn hope at best. That's how it seems to me - that Arsenal are resigned to him not signing a new deal but they can't come out and actually say it of course.

Reminds me of the days of barton, Distin. Sign your contract! Can easily see Sanchez becoming a target for their frustrated fans. He's been carrying them for 2-3 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.