American Blues

Big Svender said:
I recall during those dark days that our cable company ran the BBC World Service audio feed on one of the channels that showed text community message, etc. So at some point after 11 am on Saturdays there would be a football update with the scores from all 4 divisions to wade through to get the City score.

Where I was we didn't even have cable access, just the shit 14.4 modem. Finally when DirecTv came out we were one of the first to get it. CNN had a world sport show for 30minutes on Sunday evenings I think and it was much the same with a ticker tape of scores. They wouldn't always have all the divisions though, so you just had to cross your fingers and hope they decided to put them on for the day.

Anyone else remember Paddy feeney on the BBC World Service doing the sport on a Saturday morning?? He was fantastic and had a sharp wit. Also LOVED the classified results. You could almost know the result after they read out the first team by the reader's voice inflexion....

Frank the Yank said:
Anyone else remember Paddy feeney on the BBC World Service doing the sport on a Saturday morning?? He was fantastic and had a sharp wit. Also LOVED the classified results. You could almost know the result after they read out the first team by the reader's voice inflexion....

Yes, that's the inflection of the reader (though I have no idea who it was) that I remember from the late '90s ... sort of like the comedic lilt often used by Eric Idle

as in:

Huddersfield 1, Scunthorpe Nil

x 80 scores, including Scottish leagues, etc.

california blue said:
basher said:
I had DishNetwork (satellite provider in the US) and saw most of the games last year. They have FSC in HD, and FoxSoccerPlus (formerly Setanta) in HD. Not sure about DirecTV HD options.

I only mention this because I switched to my local cable company in order to save some money with a cable/internet bundle. Unfortunately no HD for FSC, and FoxSoccerPlus not offered with my cable company. Only football in HD is what's shown on ESPN, which last season was only one game a week for the Premier League. I would go back to satellite, but can't really stretch the family budget any more than it is.

So if matches in high-def is important to you, Dish network is a safe bet; DirectV has more sports (and probably more channels overall) in HD, but I'm not sure if they offer FSC in HD yet. I heard a report that GolTV is going HD this year- they show La Liga and Bundesliga; plus South American leagues if you're into those-- only DirecTV offers GolTV.

there's + & - to dish and directv -

you get more football on directv - inc alllllll euro games europa and chumps in HD - downside FSC & FS+ are not HD. You also get Goltv which is awesome and has a few south american leagues, la liga and the german league.

Dish has FSC in HD but im pretty sure FS+ in SD. No goltv and no euro selection. Also Dish customer service is generally shit and pretty much everyone i know likes directv for its interface and features.

Well I heard just yesterday FSC & FS+ was going HD on DirecTV starting August 1st. So there you go- if you're still reading- get DirecTV.

I just got back from the NYC event ( I live in Illinois, USA). What a great time! To wit:

The ride from the Mad Hatter to the Subway Train was surreal. We had four double-decker buses (unless I was seeing one double) with rowdy Blues singing songs throughout lower Manhattan. There is no doubt New York knew City were there! I specifically remember the poor Rag Wanker that staggered out of a bar while we were on route and the WHO ARE YA he was bombarded with...by bus after bus.

The Mad Hatter lived up to its reputation...The bar was wall to wall Blue (okay, I did see one Scouser, but he was having fun too). After an introduction and the first beer was served, bartenders Diana and Kim remembered your name, your drink, and kept your tab. Megan ran her arse of on tables, as did all waitresses (Sorry for not catching all names),

What a great time to rub shoulders with Mike Summerbee. He never turned down a picture, and it was genuinely fun to be around him.

Jonesey and crew arranged for buses to take us directly to the Red Bulls match, and beers were provided! But the best was when the bus behind the one I was on got sidetracked, we pulled over on the major road we were on, and a busload of Blues lined up on the highway and took the piss. Right there. I laughed my arse off!

The games--well, Bellamy did have that one good rush 4 minutes into the first game.

What a great time! I have made so many friends on this trip--I will be seeing you all this season--working on arrangements now. I have kept emails, and will be writing soon..I am looking forward to Mary D's, Didsburg, The Nelson, City Road Inn, and Townley Pub crawl i will be doing very soon. Cheers!

On the basis that when I last was in the UK people kept calling me American, I'll join in.

I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada been supporting the blues since the start of the 06-07 season, I chose city because I also hate red and like blue and city's history is quite similar to the teams I support over here.
I love the passion that people seem to have for city, how I can hear chants/singing on tv.

I can't make it to any of the city games in the states, the closest was in Portland, 22 hours in the car and I just don't have the money right now. Hope to go to Manchester in the next couple of years though.

otherwise said:
On the basis that when I last was in the UK people kept calling me American, I'll join in.

I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada been supporting the blues since the start of the 06-07 season, I chose city because I also hate red and like blue and city's history is quite similar to the teams I support over here.
I love the passion that people seem to have for city, how I can hear chants/singing on tv.

I can't make it to any of the city games in the states, the closest was in Portland, 22 hours in the car and I just don't have the money right now. Hope to go to Manchester in the next couple of years though.

There's no interweb in Saskatchewan you scallywag ;)

Moved to Orlando in February (the day we won at Stamford Bridge in fact). Had a season ticket for 30 years and just renewed for this season as I can't bear to give it up now we have a chance of winning something!! It's only on loan to my mum for a couple of seasons though....

Was at the Lisbon game in NYC on Friday and managed a few pints in the Hatter beforehand. Great to see a place like that filled with blues. Will be up in Baltimore on Saturday for the Inter game for my last fix until Christmas.

If there's a place to meet for a few beers, let me know where it is......

Barcon said:
otherwise said:

There's no interweb in Saskatchewan you scallywag ;)
lol. There is, though it is quite shite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.