Americana / alt.country thread

Before her eclectic solo career, Maria McKee and her first band Lone Justice.
Saw them at The Gallery and Poly back in the day ...

@OB1 and @Mancitydoogle (plus any other Mellencamp fans out there)

John Mellencamp's new album, Strictly a One-Eyed Jack, has got my out of my comfortable Spotify chair and ordering the CD.

On some of the songs, he sounds like a latter-day Bob Dylan, grumbling like the Cookie Monster, but as was the case in his 80s/90s heyday, his band are terrific on this album. I know that most of the players are different, well Andy York and Miriam Sturm have been around since the mid-90s, but York puts in some fiery dobro on "I Am A Man That Worries". The violin and accordion are used to great effect, plus there's a few straight-up rockers. It helps that Bruce Springsteen turns up on three songs and the other two we haven't heard ahead of the album release are superb (see "Did I Say Such A Thing" below).

Mellencamp's written a decent batch of songs on what is his best album since 2008.

When discussing Jason Isbell the other day someone said we need an Americana / alt.country thread. So, here we go.

To kick things off with a niche suggestion, do we have any fans of Slaid Cleaves here? I bought his 'Wishbones' album years ago, and am just digging through the rest of his discography. His lyrical commentary on the plight of the blue collar worker and the demise of the American working class is right up there with Springsteen and Johnny Cash IMO.

That was excellent. Not heard of him before but I’ll be taking a look.

Great thread, by the way!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.